SAU Community

What A Prawn....

Ten Four

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20100326/tuk-l...ed-6323e80.html

Lewis Hamilton's car 'impounded'

Formula 1 star Lewis Hamilton has had his Mercedes impounded over alleged motoring offences in Australia, police sources said.

Hamilton, 25, was stopped in Melbourne for allegedly "deliberately losing traction" of the vehicle.

A spokesman for Victoria Police said: "A 25-year-old man who resides in Switzerland will be charged on summons in relation to improper use of a vehicle."

"The car was intercepted by a police unit and the details of the driver were taken," he said. "The vehicle was seen going along Lakeside Drive and Fitzroy Street. The car was taken and will be impounded for 48 hours."

Reports said Hamilton, who was the 2008 Formula 1 world champion, was seen "doing a burnout and fishtail".

Hamilton is likely to face a fine if found to have to committed an offence in the 2010 Mercedes C63.

"It's something that will be settled in court and would be a monetary matter," said the police spokesman. "None of these court times or dates have been set as yet."

The alleged incident happened hours after Hamilton clocked the fastest time in practice sessions ahead of Sunday's Australian Grand Prix.

Hamilton released a statement through McLaren, who he drives for in the Formula 1 championship, apologising for his actions: "I was driving in an over-exuberant manner and, as a result, was stopped by the police. What I did was silly, and I want to apologise for it."

Edited by Ten Four