SAU Community

Oil Pump Confusion

I have a na Rb30 block with vl turbo crank rods forged pistions and vl turbo head. fresh rebuild new bearings bottom end. vl turbo oil pump fitted, test 1 start first go no oil presure/ oil at all. Test 2 change oil pump to standard oil pump, check for leaks on suction side, no leaks. engine starts no oil presure/ oil. Have removed presure switch and oil filter to prime the pump and 2 see if any oil comes out. No oil. Dose anyone know if and what the difference are between a turbo crank and a Na crank. Please any info maybe helpful.

I have a na Rb30 block with vl turbo crank rods forged pistions and vl turbo head. fresh rebuild new bearings bottom end. vl turbo oil pump fitted, test 1 start first go no oil presure/ oil at all. Test 2 change oil pump to standard oil pump, check for leaks on suction side, no leaks. engine starts no oil presure/ oil. Have removed presure switch and oil filter to prime the pump and 2 see if any oil comes out. No oil. Dose anyone know if and what the difference are between a turbo crank and a Na crank. Please any info maybe helpful.

only things different between an RB30E and an RB30ET are the pistons, oil pump and camshaft...everything else in the long engine is the same.

only things different between an RB30E and an RB30ET are the pistons, oil pump and camshaft...everything else in the long engine is the same.

Thanks for that. I thought that was the case but thought i would ask cause the problem i have is how is it possible that a perfectly good working oil pump that i pulled straight off running engine filled with vaso for it to be primed does not pick up oil. Was thinkin that possibly the crank flats for the oil pump were closer to the block and would cause the pump to not turn. Any thoughts?

Word of warning - NEVER start a newly built engine unless you are certain you have oil pressure. Check for oil pressure by cranking only, with spark plugs removed.

I know this now but thanks for the Warning. It came straight of working engine so one would think it would work straight away but at least i know 4 next time.

Any help peoples

by vasso you mean vaseline? oil would be fine, crank it with no plugs in get pressure and off you go,maybe if you used vaseline i think its too thick,maybe vasso is somthing else, remove the plugs anyway and crank the engine some more-provided you put plenty oil on the bearings in the first place!

I have a na Rb30 block with vl turbo crank rods forged pistions and vl turbo head. fresh rebuild new bearings bottom end. vl turbo oil pump fitted, test 1 start first go no oil presure/ oil at all. Test 2 change oil pump to standard oil pump, check for leaks on suction side, no leaks. engine starts no oil presure/ oil. Have removed presure switch and oil filter to prime the pump and 2 see if any oil comes out. No oil. Dose anyone know if and what the difference are between a turbo crank and a Na crank.

Thanx people for your coments.

Have found that the first time i fitted the oil pump i put only oil and no vaso in it and the second time 2 much vaso and the third time just the right amount. The old goldie locks and the three bears trick.

Working all good at this stage runs sweet as

by vasso you mean vaseline? oil would be fine, crank it with no plugs in get pressure and off you go,maybe if you used vaseline i think its too thick,maybe vasso is somthing else, remove the plugs anyway and crank the engine some more-provided you put plenty oil on the bearings in the first place!

Yes i mean vaseline. The first time a filled the pump with oil and it did not work and yes too much vaseline was 2 thick2 suck up oil but a small amount of vaseline and oil on gears worked straight away. Thanx

Word of warning - NEVER start a newly built engine unless you are certain you have oil pressure. Check for oil pressure by cranking only, with spark plugs removed.

query;

in doing this, will only disconnecting the coil packs suffice (so there is no spark)?

The benefit of pulling the spark plugs is that the rod bearings arent subjected to cylinder compresion forces, without there being oil on the bearings. Your cylinder bores should also all have a tiny squirt of oil in them from when your builder built the engine. (believe it or not some builders assemble engines dry!)...

I have had success priming the pump by using an air compressor too. Its a bit involved, but does work a treat.

So... after you have removed your spark plugs and unplugged the CAS sensor you can do the following.

1. Unscrew your pressure sender and put in a 1/8th BSP barbed fitting, with a piece of clear plastic hose attached to it. (so you can watch for oil).

2. Block or link your cam cover vents, including the hose that normally goes to the intake. (one way valve).

3. Connect an air blower tool to the dip stick tube with some 8mm fuel hose.

4. Set your pressure reg on your air compressor to about 5-10 psi and slowly begin to presurise the block.

(this will force oil up the pickup and into the pump, through the block galleries and out your clear tube attached to your gauge port. It will take quite a while to come through too, so be patient.)

5. Once you see oil in the clear hose, stop with the air tool. Then crank the engine for a moment. You should see oil flow at the tube.

6. With that all done, put the pressure sender back in and unblock your cam cover vents etc.

7. Crank the engine again and you should see oil pressure within a few seconds. Keep in mind the pump has to fill the rest of the galleries in the block and this can take a moment. Filling the filter will help cut this time down.. If you then have oil pressure you can re-connect everything and start the engine.

If it is taking too long to get oil through the hose at step 5, you can crank the engine while pressurising the block. Just be prepare to stop the moment you see oil in the clear hose or you will make a mess.