SAU Community

Xenon Hid Reinstall

I was looking in behind my headlights and as far as I can tell everything looks to be in tact to refit my HID lights. The wires that go into the ballast have been cut and rewired to the halogen bulbs. The ignitors were neatly tucked in behind the headlight and seem to not have been tampered with.

Now what exactly is involved in reinstalling my original bulbs. It looks like some kind of spacer device has been put in for the halogens bulbs to fit.

Also, there is a yellow wire that is attached to the back of the headlight and into the back of the ignitor, is that part of the original wiring or to do with the halogen change?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Well, undoing the 3 screws pulls out the globe mount and when it is out the spacer for the halogen bulb just pops out. Then the little wire clips that hold the bulb in, need to be bent to fit the Xenon bulb. I left the yellow wire attached, soldered the original wires back together and voila!

One HID headlight now working. Sure makes the old headlight look yellow!

Think I'll use crimps to join the wires on the other side as my soldering iron was struggling with these wires.

Also popped in my $4.45 "ebay special" SMD LED parking light, which matches the Xenon headlight nicely.

Do you know if it is possible to get the other bulbs that point down and wide to match up colour wise and match the whiteness of the Xenon? Or would it be too bright to have them both on you went the Xenon's anyway?

Do you know if it is possible to get the other bulbs that point down and wide to match up colour wise and match the whiteness of the Xenon? Or would it be too bright to have them both on you went the Xenon's anyway?

Not sure exactly what you mean, do you mean the lower part of the lights (High Beam and Fogs)?

It sounds like fog lights you are describing, that light up down and wide. The are the same bulb as the High beam, must just have two settings. Not sure if they are standard type bulb, or a unique to Nissan item?

It does seem a bit silly having Xenon low beams and Halogen fog and high beam. I guess the cheapest option is to see if you can find a replacment bulb that is the white colour of the Xenon HID low beam. There are lots of imatation HID's now, that look as white, and don't need the ballasts and ignitors etc.

I wouldn't mind a better high beam, I find it pretty ordinary!

• 2 weeks later...

No doubt this will be an incredibly dumb question BUT...

seen as the factory HIDs arent self levelling, corner sensoring etc can i just buy an aftermarket HID kit from our vendors for example and install that?

I have the same problem with you, prdreilly. The car was sold to me with a halogen bulb head light. I too found some kind of spacer/adapter for the H3C halogen bulb. It's glued in place so Using a screwdriver, twist and lift will pop the spacer/adapter out. You will need the 3 part for the HID to work. My car came with the ballast, the clipped power pin but missing the Igniter. Got them from Ebay (which is not cheap) and the HID D2R bulb (price depend on what brand you choose). Connect the wire from the halogen setup to the power pin of the HID. I bought a 6000k but I think 4700k give a better lighting. By the way, I do have an extra PIAA 4900k H4 bulb for your high beam/spot light for sale. PM me.

post-53067-1273140067_thumb.jpg

Edited by FlyingEL

I was fortunate enough to have the Xenon bulbs and plug with cut wires for the ballast kindly put in my glove box after compliance. The ignitors were left in tact, so there was no need for me to buy anything, just had to cut the wires to the Halogen bulbs, pull out the spacers for the halogens and the bulbs (my spacers weren't glued, just pushed them out), then bend the wire springs that hold the bulbs in place, join the original wires back together (solder & heat shrink or Crimps), plug it all in and voila!

It is a bit of a fiddly job, you have to pull the wheel off, and the plastic guard liner to get to the back of the headlight, but I am pretty useless mechanically, so unless you are a total novice you should be ok.

No doubt this will be an incredibly dumb question BUT...

seen as the factory HIDs arent self levelling, corner sensoring etc can i just buy an aftermarket HID kit from our vendors for example and install that?

You could, but obviously it will cost you. If all your Xenon bits are already there, and all you have to do is put it back together, that is cheap to do.

Oh ive been wanting to refit my HID's but ive got no idea how to do it and dont really know much about headlights would u say its easy enough to do or should i take it to an auto elec?

First thing to do would be check that your ignitors are in tact, if not you have to decide if you can be bothered with the expense. Did they give you the original plugs that go into the ballast? If not, then you are going to have to chase up all those parts as well.

It is a bit of a fiddly job, you have to pull the wheel off, and the plastic guard liner to get to the back of the headlight, but I am pretty useless mechanically, so unless you are a total novice you should be ok.

Huh? I though you have to take the whole bumper out and then you can get the headlights off. I think that will be easier but take longer time.

bumper and headlight is the correct way. you can get at it by leaning the inner guards out of the way but if the ballast has been pulled OUT then its a front off exercise. I do the simple way if I CBF'd ripping off the front.

You could, but obviously it will cost you. If all your Xenon bits are already there, and all you have to do is put it back together, that is cheap to do.

If i did decide to go this route, would it be the H1 or D2R kit? I searched the OSRAM site and they say its D2R for HID but i thought id check :S

Not sure exactly what you mean, do you mean the lower part of the lights (High Beam and Fogs)?

It sounds like fog lights you are describing, that light up down and wide. The are the same bulb as the High beam, must just have two settings. Not sure if they are standard type bulb, or a unique to Nissan item?

It does seem a bit silly having Xenon low beams and Halogen fog and high beam. I guess the cheapest option is to see if you can find a replacment bulb that is the white colour of the Xenon HID low beam. There are lots of imatation HID's now, that look as white, and don't need the ballasts and ignitors etc.

I wouldn't mind a better high beam, I find it pretty ordinary!

Yeah that's what I was wondering, thanks.

If i did decide to go this route, would it be the H1 or D2R kit? I searched the OSRAM site and they say its D2R for HID but i thought id check :S

I got an aftermarket kit on mine and they actually a h1 kit.

• 3 months later...