SAU Community

Good Double Din Unit

Ericjayrol

hey,

Im looking at upgrading the stock system in my R34, I want to get a double din so it fits in nicely as a nice and easy replacement to the stock unit.

I want it to have front USB and some connectivity to the Iphone, whether its a dock or just the ability to use the cable and sit it in the cup holder.

I want good quality audio aswell obviously, and want something cheap enough, no more than $600

I plan to further upgrade by amplifying the stock system and putting in a sub.

Any advice on a good head unit to match my needs? Also, ideas for the good sub and amp set up would be nice

Is that so? So I made the right decision then :happy:

Yeah, they are incredible!

I went with the:

CDE-102E headunit - 2 preouts with subwoofer control, 50W x 4, mp3/wma/aac playback, front usb & aux, rear ipod/iphone

SPR-17S component 2 way speaker system - 330W peak 110W RMS, 6 1/2"

MRP-F600 4 channel power amp - 1320W max, variable high pass/low pass crossover, bass eq, speaker level input, 150W RMS x 4 2Ω, 14.4V

I don't know the info of the sub, but its the matching one for the rest of the system.

Let me know what u all reckon, it cost me $2000 with professional installation and all the amp wiring kit and all that.

I installed a JVC KDR606 head unit into my Skyline that I had saved from my previous vehicle. I'm still learning things about audio, but it seems to have near similar specs to the Alpine CDE-102E unit. It only has one set of preouts however, but I havn't gotten to the part of looking at amps or subs just yet. I think it cost me $250. I remember reading on here about someone trashing JVC products and saying they were total crap. I hope mine isn't a crap one. I sounds good, works great with usb and seems to put out some nice power for the speaks I do have in the car. Anyone else used this unit?

09040803e07c29.jpg

Edited by KrazyKong

The JVC looks nice, Ive heard a lot of people trash them aswell, but all the JVC systems i've heard sound all sweet.

Maybe the cheaper JVC units just aren't all that good, but thats to be expected with anything cheap

• 2 months later...
Is that so? So I made the right decision then :laugh:

Yeah, they are incredible!

I went with the:

CDE-102E headunit - 2 preouts with subwoofer control, 50W x 4, mp3/wma/aac playback, front usb & aux, rear ipod/iphone

SPR-17S component 2 way speaker system - 330W peak 110W RMS, 6 1/2"

MRP-F600 4 channel power amp - 1320W max, variable high pass/low pass crossover, bass eq, speaker level input, 150W RMS x 4 2Ω, 14.4V

I don't know the info of the sub, but its the matching one for the rest of the system.

Let me know what u all reckon, it cost me $2000 with professional installation and all the amp wiring kit and all that.

looks like a pretty good setup. we what pictures NOW

just a couple of things 150W RMS x 4 is for 2Ω a 4Ω load results in less power

and what is powering the sub

The sub is being bridged on the amp, the set up only has front speakers, no rears.

I know it seems incomplete that way, but its a very good set up and sounds clear with enough bass from the sub that I really didn't wanna bother getting rears.

Wouldn't be much in the way of photos, the door speakers are covered with stock covers, the sub is sitting in the boot in a box, the amp is connected up to the rear of the flip down middle seat and there's the head unit ofcourse, if you still want photos I can take some, but I don't think its anything special in the way of appearance.

The sub is being bridged on the amp, the set up only has front speakers, no rears.

I know it seems incomplete that way, but its a very good set up and sounds clear with enough bass from the sub that I really didn't wanna bother getting rears.

Wouldn't be much in the way of photos, the door speakers are covered with stock covers, the sub is sitting in the boot in a box, the amp is connected up to the rear of the flip down middle seat and there's the head unit ofcourse, if you still want photos I can take some, but I don't think its anything special in the way of appearance.

Rears are just fillers and they days of 6x9s in the rears are long gone. Too much noise from the rear ends up ruining the sound quality. Most sound quality competition cars don't use rears and if they do it is a very faint sound stage should be coming from the front.

no rears? thats crazy talk. a good set of rears gives balance to the system and what if you have passengers? dont be cheap. personally i like pioneer head units with kicker/ jl speakers and subs and jl amps. soundstream used to be great but have gone wayyyy downhill. i have always run 6" slpits in the front and rear and they've been awesome systems.