SAU Community

Mr2 Turbo Importing

jabran200

Hi guys,

Would you reccomened me importing an mr2 turbo from japan? or would it be cheaper to buy one? I've been reading that it's hard to get a car landed for less 10k and most MR2's seem to be around 8-13k.

I have seen MR2's in japan around 2k.

Hi guys,

Would you reccomened me importing an mr2 turbo from japan? or would it be cheaper to buy one? I've been reading that it's hard to get a car landed for less 10k and most MR2's seem to be around 8-13k.

I have seen MR2's in japan around 2k.

The MR-2 turbo (SW20 model) is not allowed for import to Australia with the current laws. The only MR-2 you can import is the earlier AW11 model built in 1988 or earlier, so if you wanted an SW20 turbo then you will have to buy one locally unfortunately.

• 4 weeks later...
The MR-2 turbo (SW20 model) is not allowed for import to Australia with the current laws. The only MR-2 you can import is the earlier AW11 model built in 1988 or earlier, so if you wanted an SW20 turbo then you will have to buy one locally unfortunately.

Serious?? O.O

i was going to import a mr2 gts from Japan...

oh man, all the gts and even the older gt version are so expensive in Australia.

And i thought we can import them because Australia didn't produce any mr2 >.<

if it's ban from importing, what is the reason? emission?

The import laws are fairly simple for this sort of car ... they are not allowed for import under the SEVS laws because the SW20 model MR-2 was sold in Australia in full volume (different engine makes no difference), so the only other way it could be imported under would be the pre-1989 laws however the SW20 was not built as early as 1988 so that is out too!

• 2 weeks later...

no you couldn't. :blink: doesn't matter if it's from canada or west africa for that matter. same rules apply. even if it did make a difference (which is doesn't) LHD would just make it even more of a hassle.

they are not exactly a big dollar car over here. there is a big range in price but a early 90s turbo model is $10K and up and a non-turbo under $10K no problem.

I imported an SW20 mr2 in feb 2006. It would have been one of the last ones to come into the country. It was done under the old 15 year rule, after it was abolished, thanks to a bloke who had stocked up on a heap of vehicles knowing that the rules were soon to change.

Anyhow, despite a good report from the agent, it turned out to be pretty rough.

Even if importing was still an option for these cars, i wouldnt recommend it. The costs are likely to be about the same as buying locally.

They are an old car now. The ability to test drive one, and have it properly checked out, is godsend.

I imported an SW20 mr2 in feb 2006. It would have been one of the last ones to come into the country. It was done under the old 15 year rule, after it was abolished, thanks to a bloke who had stocked up on a heap of vehicles knowing that the rules were soon to change.

Anyhow, despite a good report from the agent, it turned out to be pretty rough.

Even if importing was still an option for these cars, i wouldnt recommend it. The costs are likely to be about the same as buying locally.

They are an old car now. The ability to test drive one, and have it properly checked out, is godsend.

sound advice backed with actual real world first hand experience. :D what more can you ask for?

anyway, as above importing is no longer an option so in this case the choice is made for you.