SAU Community

R34 GTR engine in a R33 GTR

Guest DON91E

Hey guys,

Im going to be doing this conversion quite soon, i just want to know if anyone else has done it?

Any problems that u see i mite have?

Any ideas or opinions appreciated..

Im afraid wiring it up is going to a bitch maybe..

but u never know wat u could run into.

i will still be running my r33 computer. and i dunno if thats even possible

buddy, ur money would be way better used to upgrade your R33GTR engine

same bloody engine! RB26!

if ur current engine has problems, get rebuild but with forgies??

why do u want to pay excessive money for full engine transplant? when its almost same as wat u have

if ur current engine is fine, then upgrade ur turbos, fuel and injectors, ud have way more fun!! trust me

They are the same bloody engine, y r u bothering?

I was thinking the same thing. Unlike the NEO engines, AFAIK there wasn't any major changes made to the RB26DETT in the R34. Maybe some ecu/fueling tweaks but that's about it.

Personally, given the amount of time, effort and money it would take to swap engines, wouldn't it be better to spend that on mods for your existing engine?

Unless, of course, the reason you're changing engines is because the existing one is screwed?

If you're going ahead with the engine swap, might I suggest you swap in the getrag 6 speed box while you're at it! :)

Guest RedLineGTR

same engine...your better off upgrading some internals or some other preformance work unless you current engine has some problems.

Yepp, stick with the R33 RB26 unless your R33 motor has thrown a rod or something etc... Then the R34 may be better.

I'm pretty sure that the ECU is different. I know that the R33 and R32 PFC are the same, but there is a different model number for the R34 GTR PFC... Maybe this is just for some of the extra displays that the R34 has (the big centre screen thingy) ??

yeh my r33 engine has a loose gudgeon pin? im not too technical when it comes to that but thats what i was told, makes a scary knocking sound everytime i start it.

i got a pretty good price on the r34 engine installed swapped for my 33 engine. $4000 fitted. I know the R34 engine im getting is pretty descent comming form a mate whos bought a blown r34 motor to rebuild.

I always fort the r34 engine pushed out "more" power and had better turbos.

My mechanic has quoted me ~$6000 to rebuild mine. Is he joking? or is this the price they go for??

he was going to give me forge pistons, stronger rods, and some other crap.

Still think its a bad idea guys?

im not after big power :), ill get too carried away and have to sell the house and first born :)

which i don't have atm ;) hahahah

so i just want reliability,

a gudgeon pin is what holds the piston onto the rods. I'd just rip your old engine out, replace the gudgeon pin and maybe do a few extras like put some forged pistons in and maybe some new rings and bearings while it is out. The bores are generally pretty good in the rb's i think. If not then bore it out a bit more or why not even stroke it like suggested above. You are gonna spend a lot of time and effort on sorting otu the wiring when a similar amount can be spent rebuilding your old engine to be like new. It might just need the gudgeon pin replaced and that's it??? But with it knocking it may need a bit of work.

hmm your opinions are swaying me...NNOOO :)

i guess with the money i save i could get bigger turbos as well,

hmmm, But if the rebuild is going to cost me even near $4,000 i would stick to the r34 engine. only because its alot simpler.

How much does rebuilding one of these suckers cost. I know its a very vague questions but with wat i have described to you guys, i mean get the gudgeon pin replaced. new rings forgies, upgraded rods, how much do u think it could be ?

Hmmm, $4k to buy the motor and put it in is a very good deal.

I've seen low Km GTR engines sell for around the $5-6k mark !!

It's a hard call. You'd have to find out what a rebuild cost on your R33 motor is worth, then weigh it up agains the R34. Also, do you mind having the car off the road for a while while the rebuild goes ahead? The swap would be faster etc...

Remember that a rebuild (if done right) will be like a brand spanking new engine and may out perform the R34 motor.

Tough call....

J

thats guys for that imput, jay yours really explains how i feel.

After the rebuild im gonna have to run it in, and well what if and im just saying wat if they stuffed something int he rebuild, it could all go wrong ;( and for me, u would rebuild as a precaution to not to blow it as your chasing big horsies, im not chasing big horsies,

but yeh your rite 4grand, for the r34 motor installed and wired is a pretty good price.

i could get it next week while the rebuild will take awhile, and i just think its too "risky" getting a rebuild.

I really thought the R34 motor has more power?

because i mean how could the r34 GTT have 206kw and the gtr have 206kw?