SAU Community

Iphone Engine Obd Monitering

Davyboy

Hey guys

A bloke at work just bought one of these things, im just waiting for it to be delivered so i can have a play

Its called a KIWI Wi-Fi made by PLX systems.

What it does is plug into your OBD 2 port on your car and creates a wireless network within your car. It then connects to your IPHONE and through an app (which you buy from the app store) you can see just about everything that the computer sees from the engine. You can bring up things like boost pressures, injecter duty cycles, engine oil and water temp, engine revs, speed, throttle postion etc etc etc. It pretty much eliminates the need to buy aftermarket guages and the like.

Have a look :

http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwiwifi/

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

It is purely a monitering tool though, you can not change any parameters within the operating system on the car. It will also show you the error codes (if you have any) of the car and the great thing is you can reset the error codes :D

You can also trend patterns with it and it has a great feature which uses GPS to overlay a race track and can trend the engines performance over the track

There are also different sensors and senders you can buy and plug into it, for example a Wide Band O2 sensor.

It will work on any car with an OBD 2 port, which as far as i know all skylines have, correct me if im wrong :)

One of the best things ever made for an iphone in my opinion and after having a play when my mates arrives i may well buy one

Enjoy :)

Yeh Skylines use Nissan CONSULT. You can apparently get adapters to connect an OBD cable to the CONSULT port but i just gave up on it, too much messing around. In the end i got an ARK MFD, wires straight into your ECU

I have a OBD2 scan tool and adaptor to fit in r34 gtt but the scan tool wont communicate with vehicle at all.

I dont think r34 have OBD 2

they dont, only way your scan tool will work with any adaptor is if the scan tool supports consult and has the required consult pins on the OBD2 plug. you cant simply adapt a generic OBDII tool to work with consult, it has to have specific consult support.

apparently all cars 1996 and older have OBD 2. might not be tru for skylines though

thats what yankees will tell you. however cars made outside USA didnt have this requirement. some cars as late as 2006 in australia (patrols) still have the old consult (no OBDII compatibility). for the jap originated nissans it was generally new models starting after 99 when they brought consultII out, that were converted. i.e. s15/r34 were last of the consult models.

Yeh Skylines use Nissan CONSULT. You can apparently get adapters to connect an OBD cable to the CONSULT port but i just gave up on it, too much messing around. In the end i got an ARK MFD, wires straight into your ECU

you cant. well, you can get the adaptor but it wont do anything unless the scan tool is made for consult (i.e. an actual nissan consult II). but if it was theyd just have the consult plug/cable with it or have it as an option (e.g. greddy informeter/blitz rvit etc, has consult harness option). consult and OBDII are completely different and incompatible at every possible level (electrical, signalling, communications protocol), so no adaptor is going to make a generic OBDII thing talk to consult stuff.

you cant. well, you can get the adaptor but it wont do anything unless the scan tool is made for consult (i.e. an actual nissan consult II). but if it was theyd just have the consult plug/cable with it or have it as an option (e.g. greddy informeter/blitz rvit etc, has consult harness option). consult and OBDII are completely different and incompatible at every possible level (electrical, signalling, communications protocol), so no adaptor is going to make a generic OBDII thing talk to consult stuff.

Yeh you can't get an adapter just by itself, i was talking about the Greddy Informeter Touch. My bad, should have clarified. The way Greddy outlined it to me when i emailed them was they provide you with the basic package, and if you want the CONSULT harness then you buy that extra and just connect it to the OBDII cable from the Informeter and then connect it to the CONSULT port. So effectively it is an adapter, but yes, the scan tool needs to be able to read CONSULT data

I had a CONSULT interface to Serial, then a Serial-USB converter.

Run Nissdatascan on a Netbook PC and you can see all the same, and even TWEAK a few settings!

Like others said, the OBD2 will not work.

If you want some fancy gismo that shows engine parameter readouts, build yourself a bloody carpc.

Hook a consult cable up, run Datascan and voila. You can also use it to control your entertainment system, GPS, intrawebz etc etc etc.

That would give you much more cred than some stupid brand name "infometer". Pfft.

another alternative is to get an older ipaq and run ECUTalk on it.

apple are only on the lookout for the $ so making an iphone solution would be expensive. look at the one mentioned in OP - it needs to make a WIFI access point just to connect with the phone, cause apple dont let you use the serial port unless you've bent over for them and are giving them 80% of your profits.

or just get an ECUTalk lcd display...