SAU Community

Starter Motor Problem Rb30/rb26

leeroy_25

Hoping someone can give me some help here that is not bad news! I tried to turn over my RB26/RB30 today to find there seems to be a problem with the starter motor. I bought the car with a seized RB26 and replaced it with and RB30/RB26 motor. The motor all turns over fine so that's not a problem. I fitted a Nismo twin plate clutch to it. Which I got second hand.

Basically the starter throws out and then starts chattering as if you have a flat battery. So I pulled the starter out and gave it a clean put some WD40 in it and spun it over on a battery and it seems fine?

Put it back in and same thing. Throws out and starts to chatter. Just to make sure the flywheel was not in a funny position I put the car in gear and rocked it. Doing so I noticed the sound of the starter motor disengaging from the ring gear. Every time you fire it out it appears to stick. Rock the car and it drops out again.

Can someone shed any light on this. Is there any way I have been sold a flywheel that has a different ring gear or spacing? Did I need to space the flywheel out or something that I missed? Damaged teeth on the starter? Or just a dudd starter motor under load?

Just for reference I have no battery in the boot and I am jumping off a battery to the front terminals.

Thank you

Lee

Are you trying to start it on a known good battery? If you run the starter outside the car it wont be under load so may seem fine. I'd double check its not the battery before you pull ya hair out