SAU Community

Legal Age To Register A Car In Vic

PIOTREK

Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying a car for my little brother as his birthday is around the corner (nothing flashy just A to B) and i'm not sure what is the legal age to register a car in VIC. I pretty sure its 17 plus but i couldn't find anything on VIC ROADS.

Does anyone have the facts behind this?

Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying a car for my little brother as his birthday is around the corner (nothing flashy just A to B) and i'm not sure what is the legal age to register a car in VIC. I pretty sure its 17 plus but i couldn't find anything on VIC ROADS.

Does anyone have the facts behind this?

Requirements to register a light vehicle

The registration requirements for a light vehicle are:

* you must be over 17 years of age to register a car or truck or 17 years and 9 months of age for a motorcycle or motor trike

* you can only register a vehicle in the name of a person or incorporated body (see: Who can register a vehicle)

* you must attend an appointment at VicRoads

* you may need to attend a vehicle inspection at VicRoads (if the vehicle has previously been registered in your name and the vehicle details have not changed, you do not need to attend a vehicle inspection)

* you must pay registration and number plate fees.

Make an appointment

To make a registration appointment:

* call us on 13 11 71 (Visa or MasterCard payments only)

* visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre (cash, cheque, EFTPOS, Visa or MasterCard)

When making an appointment you will need to tell us the:

* vehicle identification number (VIN)

* engine number

* registration plate number (if applicable)

The appointment and vehicle inspection

The safest way to legally drive an unregistered vehicle to your appointment is with an Unregistered Vehicle Permit (UVP).

What to bring to the appointment

* the vehicle (if an inspection is required)

* evidence of identity

* evidence of ownership (contract of sale/receipt showing the VIN; engine number; name, address and signature of previous owner; name and address of the new owner). A transfer of registration document is not accepted.

* a current Certificate of Roadworthiness

* if someone else is attending the appointment on your behalf, they will need a signed letter of authority from you that quotes your Victorian licence number.