SAU Community

Qld Defects/fine Amounts

What would i be facing if i removed my cannon compleatly, and put a straight piece of 3" in its place? Also, if i was pulled over with this kind of system what would the punishment be? An instant fine on the spot and being told to put the muffler back on? Or a defect and having to put the muffler back on.

Also are defects actual fines? Do they cost anything at all? Or what would a fine for this cost? Has anyone ever done what i want to do, and ever been pulled over for it?

Oh, and the system will still include a cat, and a resonator. If that helps...

assuming you did get pulled over sometimes they are just lazy and are like "thats too loud change it over"

or they could be like "im defecting you for exhaust" i think its normally $150 fine and have to appear in court (the court part doesnt mean much is just to waste your time)

or the worst outcome would be they send you to the pits for a full inspection, to survive one of these you basically need to return your car to stock

a mate of mine got defected while driving his mates 4wd. think it was a $110 fine and 1 point, plus having to put the car back to being legal. he was defected for a lift kit, or tyre size or something like that.

may i ask why you want to do it? performance wise you won't gain anything, you will just be making the car louder (am assuming that is the goal?). having said that, a turbo car without the rear muffler isn't that loud. you may get away with it, but if you do get pulled over for it, then make sure you don't have anything else illegal because there is a chance they will then go over the car. so if youre tyres are getting low, or you have an atmo bov, or have cut the front reo to put a cooler on then expect to also be done for them too.

Yes, the main idea is to make it sound better, and louder. But it sounds like its just going to be a cop magnet, and with my other mods, it would cost a small fortune to restor most of the things on it.

My only other option would be to sleeve the muffler with a piece of 3". The only real thing they could book me for is excessive noise, so possibly, like you said $100-$200 fine and maybe a point. And the cost of a new muffler.

Really it dosent sound like its worth it. I feel like im hooked on the noise drug...

it will make a bit of difference, but the point is that the cops wouldn't book you for not having the rear muffler there (so sleeving the muffler is pointless), or for having the resonator removed. they don't care about that. they will simply book you for how loud the car is, and once they are booking you for one thing they will look to see what else they can book you for.

that said, a few guys round here have been running twin 2.5" shotguns out the back of the car with either just the centre muffler/resonator, or no mufflers at all. most of them have been booked for it though. only know 1 out of them who hasn't.