SAU Community

Car Trailer - Independent Suspension

samstain

Has anyone made/used a car trailer with independant suspension - using a al-ko/avonride type pre-fabricated trailing arm system...

like these:

IRS-2.jpg

AccessALKO_IRS.jpg

Im about to build my own 2000kg car trailer, im thinking about giving them a go to get the trailer lower, lighter and smoother towing.

Edited by samstain

we havea camper trailer that uses that style suspension - seems to work well with a 750kg trailer.

you'd need to get the load rating for the setup though as the rubber inserts might need to be a different density for towing a car.

where are you looking to get the setups from?

It seems to be mostly Qld based mobs that handle them...

I have to ring them and get more details, but from what i can work out the smallest braked axle set is 1100kg, and the largest un-braked is 900. Which I guess means if you get one of each you can only really run 1800kg on it, or you have to go for a pair of 1100kg ones and have all 4 wheels braking - which probably isn't a bad thing.

I'm yet to find out how expencive they are, if the get a bit rediculous I might have to go with drop axles with leaf springs instead.

They seem to be hard things to get, cant find anyone in adelaide that deals in them.

Vehicle Components in QLD don't handle them any more.

Found one online shop that has them - about $2000 for a pair of 1000kg axles with 10" electric brakes on one axle.

• 2 weeks later...

yep i run those on my car trailer. very very smooth ride, and also tilts nice n low to get the car on with the front bar no dramas. tryin to remember how much i paid for mine but that was about 4 years ago

Ben...

• 2 weeks later...

I have found a local supplier, they need to ring up the factory and get a price for me, but they seem to be fairly reasonable.

Hopefully they will also save a lot of weight, solid 45mm axles seem such a waste of steel when slightly larger but hollow axle would be half the weight and a whole lot stronger.