SAU Community

R32 Tailshaft With Rb25 Yolk

Hey guys,

I took my RB20 gearbox out on the weekend as I am going to put my RB25 gearbox in. I need to get the tailshaft done and Ive heard that all you need to do is get the RB25 yolk put onto the R32 tailshaft and get it balanced.. I have called up about this and the man on the phone told me that I shouldnt do this and that Im better off getting an aftermarket one for $300.00.... Now I dont know if this is right.. I read on here that QUOTE -

"All that is required is to cut the old RB20det yoke off the R32 rb20det tail shaft and weld the rb25det yoke on to it.

Thge rb25det box sits something like 10mm back than the rb20det box. When you remove and clean up the old weld etc from the rb20det yoke thats the 10mm or so required. So stress less drop it off at the local Adelaide tail shaft services and simply have them swap the yokes + balance for $90."

I am thinking he might be trying to take advantage because I am a female. But then again I may be wrong..

Could someone please give me some advice..

I live in East Brisbane area.. Does anyone know of a place that can do the tailshaft for me? I dont mind a bit of a drive, just as long as im not going to get ripped off or taken advantage of. Im still learning so any advice would be REALLY appreciated.

Thanks

Georgie

While my big custom shaft was getting built, I was able to get away with bolting the front half of the 33 shaft to the rear half of the 32 shaft.. would need a good balance if you were going to use this as a permanent solution..

Do not get a custom shaft for $300. Done many conversions and only ever get the Z32 yoke put on. The gearbox is actually more like 3mm different so it make no difference to the length really.

If you put a one piece shaft in there, you'll regret it forever

personal preference i guess, i like mine in there fine.

no, not personal preference, just experience.

Not that there is really anything wrong with a single piece if it is made right, but when made for street applications, anything over 6000rpm and a 3inch tube shaft 2.5-3mm thick and 1.5m long goes critical. This means that if you put enough torque through it, you'll tie it in a knot. You won't do that even to the factory 2 piece one with the same torque and revs.

2 piece tailshafts are stronger and the load is displaced better over two shorter pieces of tube

Sweet,

Thanks for the advice guys its really appreciated!

Well I will call up tomorrow.. I went into a few places for a few other parts today and there were some really nice people out there willing to help but went to one place and he was an absolute jerk and because I brought my friend along (who's a guy) he started talking to him about the parts i was after! Even though I was asking the questions! I was so peeved off and he was extremely unhelpful.. frustrating but yeah will get there :rofl2:

I don't mind paying the money as long as they're not trying to rip me off etc.

Thanks again for the help :D And any information is great :)

$300 is cheap...

My custom 2-piece with new yoke, new centre bearing, heavy duty servicable uni's and 3" tubing cost me $700!

I did tell him I wanted something that would handle 800Nm though and I have been assured this will!

$300 is cheap...

My custom 2-piece with new yoke, new centre bearing, heavy duty servicable uni's and 3" tubing cost me $700!

I did tell him I wanted something that would handle 800Nm though and I have been assured this will!

sounds like a Hardy-Spicer?

how long ago did you get that built bubba? i am in need of doing this and everyone down here in bunbury is a yokel

Umm, probably been 2 years or so since I put the 25 box in. The guys at Final Drive are good to deal with, know what they're talking about and not arrogant c0ckheads like VEEM :(

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome just the thread I was lookin for

Search really is your friend

Im doing the r33 gearbox conversion as well

So your saying if i read correctly keep the drive shaft the same length as the rb20 one just fit the rb25 yoke to it ?

and then get balanced?

thanks for that

Awesome just the thread I was lookin for

Search really is your friend

Im doing the r33 gearbox conversion as well

So your saying if i read correctly keep the drive shaft the same length as the rb20 one just fit the rb25 yoke to it ?

and then get balanced?

thanks for that

RB25 box is longer.. if you use the front half (from centre bearing forwards) of a 33gtst shaft and the rear half of a 32gtst, that's the length that it needs to be.

RB25 box is longer.. if you use the front half (from centre bearing forwards) of a 33gtst shaft and the rear half of a 32gtst, that's the length that it needs to be.

It's only about 3mm....which is kinda splitting hairs a little.

Yes just change the yoke over to VG30 300ZX (aus delivered so readily available at all driveline stores) no change in length is required.

Will they bolt together at the centre bearing ??

Yes, that's what I did while my custom shaft was being made.

It's only about 3mm....which is kinda splitting hairs a little.

Yes just change the yoke over to VG30 300ZX (aus delivered so readily available at all driveline stores) no change in length is required.

True but my point was you don't REALLY need to get anything welded, bolt the two halves together and get it balanced and away you go.

If, however, you are going for BIG power, then it would pay to get a decent shaft built.

Yes, that's what I did while my custom shaft was being made.

True but my point was you don't REALLY need to get anything welded, bolt the two halves together and get it balanced and away you go.

If, however, you are going for BIG power, then it would pay to get a decent shaft built.

Agreed, it is cheaper if you can get the RB25 shaft with your gearbox or find one cheap enough to steal the front section.

• 3 weeks later...

Im picking up my tailshaft today. Its a R32 GTSt shaft with a RB25 yoke on the front of it. Came to $330 (including brand new yoke). Just had to take a measurement for the length and give it to the tailshaft place.