SAU Community

Bachelor Of Arts

SHIRUBA_XXXIII

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any one here is/has done Japanese Studies at University (unisa is where i am interested in). I was wondering if it was worth it and if it helped you get a career in Japan? Ive heard that do get any decent work over there you need certificates, and i was looking at what i could do at uni. Any one done this course, and if so what did they think of it, and what did they get out of it.

Thanks heaps :P

you just need a diploma. any diploma really. its basically to prove to the english schools that you're not a dropkick that can't even speak english.

english schools in japan aren't like the ones here. It's more conversational, there's usually a very loose syllabus and it's mostly very basic stuff.... things you cover by the end of primary school in an english school.

to teach english in japan anyways (which is what 80% of the guys who go there end up doing) you don't need to do a course in Japanese.

If you want to become an International Business liaison or something at a multinational then you better have a double fisted tight grip of the japanese language as they almost always prefer a local guy who speaks shitty english over a foreign guy who speaks shitty japanese.

... or you could go for a job at a foreign company in Japan like P&G, Nestle etc and speak no Japanese (have a JP assistant) and enjoy working in comparison to any Japanese company position. That's just me though... some diehard Japanophiles like the torture from a Japanese bucho.

You own an MX6 Turbo!!! thats awesome, I loved my MX6 turbz, USC bodykit,18 wheels and a 2.5 exhaust. All that torque in such a light car. Still love my VL wagz more though.

Oh yeah and in response to your post, if you are looking for a degree which will be good for Japan do an education degree. Any degree is needed to get a visa but if you work as a teacher an education degree will give you access to the 300k+ yen a month jobs that are advertised instead of the up to 250k yen that any other degree allows you to go for.

ahaha yeah the mx6 goes alright actually, was my dads so its pretty stock. Saving all the money for the 33. Only downside of the Mazda is that its Fwd (N) Mazda really dropped the ball there, would have been sucha great car if they made it Rwd.

And yeah, is that the course that is like a "specialized teaching english overseas" course?

Thanks heaps guys :D

if you just want an easy course to do then its ok. iv done them as a couple of electives in my degree and they are the most basic units i have ever done. i did them through UNE.

i dont think they will help with getting any job

In terms of doing an education degree have a look at some of the jobs advertised, I have pulled a few to show what I am talking about:

Early Learning or Kindergarten/Elementary teaching qualification is strongly preferred ¥265,000 ~ ¥295,000/Month

Early Childhood Education or Elementary Education ¥260,000 ~ ¥300,000/Month

University Degree in Education. ¥275,000 ~ ¥350,000/Month

Compare these to the sorts of pay you can expect to get without an education degree and I think you are lucky if you are getting anything over 250k a month. I would love to be proven wrong, especially if proving me wrong involves getting me a higher paid job using my immensly helpful Music degree.

MX6 - yeah I guess I was "lucky" in that my first car was a Datto Pulsar so the MX6 felt like a rocketship in comparison and the FWD certainly felt a lot sportier than the only RWD car I had driven by then - the family Toyota Tarago. Still the MX6 was a mile ahead of the CA18 auto 180sx I owned. MX6 is definitely worthy of some love and if I wasnt on a Skyline forum I would say stop saving for an R33 and spend your dollars on the MX6, women and alcohol. And the alcohol aint that important....come to think of it women can be an unworthy money pit too :)

haha, yeah i think ready for a Rwd. This Fwd is pissing me off. Wouldnt mind getting some track time aswell, so the 33 would be much better suited. I came from an automatic 1990 Audi, so to me the manual turbo is wonderful :blink: Hoping the skyline will just be another step up though. Haha, ive wasted enough money on women already, and im only 17 :thumbsup: Alcohol however...I think ill keep on spending :D