SAU Community

Street Legal Questions

tmoney

After another run in with the cops for my car being too loud I would like to make sure I reduce my chance of getting busted for anything else. I have two questions:

1. Pod Air Filter

I am told that my pod air filter is illegal. What is the deal with these, are they generally illegal? Its not covered or anything. Do I need to have it covered or boxed in to make it legal?

2. Front Mount

I want to get a front mount intercooler however after my latest run in dont want to make the car too noisy that will get me in trouble again. When I was tested for being loud I was at 91 decibels at 4800rpm (the limit was 90). I got a new exhaust and now the car is much quieter - the only thing you hear when you rev is the engine / pod filter. I want a intercooler but am wondering if this will make it too loud? What are peoples experiences here, how can I get a front mount and make it legal?

Thanks.

depends on State to State, ring Road Authority in your State, ask for modifications ph number, write it down & store for further reference.

Its the only way you will know for sure mate-hope that helps.

Up here dry pods arent illegal-wet type ones are

if your in Victoria its illegal to THINK about modding your car, so you better stop thinking about it

they can read your mind...shhh you didnt hear this from me...Oh shit there's someone at the door i think they heard me , quick call the police actually no call ACA help me oprah help me tom cruise help me jesus nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Edited by Arthur T3

if your in Victoria its illegal to THINK about modding your car, so you better stop thinking about it

im in nsw

they can read your mind...shhh you didnt hear this from me...Oh shit there's someone at the door i think they heard me , quick call the police actually no call ACA help me oprah help me tom cruise help me jesus nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

it comes down to what state. some states allow pods as long as they are secured with a bracket, and front mounts are fine as long as you haven't cut the bumper reo. other states will allow you 1 intake mod, so either a pod, or a fmic.

also a front mount won't alter how loud the car is.

Thanks for everyones answers much appreciated...

I think ill get rid of my pod and put back in the standard air box. I read elsewhere on this forum there is no real performance difference? Is changing them over easy to do?

Also when you say get the front mount engineered what do you mean? If I get a professional to put it in will they engineer it?

There are people around who will inspect the fmic fitment and sign off on it's safety.

As for the pod, should be pretty easy to take off and replace, the airbox fittings are all still there. It depends on how the piping has been changed. There is no performance gain, only performance loss, since sucking in cold air means sucking in less oxygen than the equivalent volume of cold air. Less oxygen leads to poorer combustion, which leads to less power. More importantly the hot air can promote pinging which will damage your engine.

yeah putting a pod on a daily car is a waste of time, yeah it may suck more air ( and sound better) but mostly its hot air instead of the cool air a standard snorkel is designed to breath..

pretty sure any FMIC should pass as long as its fitted decently....Which alot i see aren't