SAU Community

a few quick GTR intercooler questions

ABuSD

Im running 300kw on a standard intercooler, but it is starting to become a bit of a restriction. Word of mouth is they hold around the 300rwkw mark before they become a restriction.

Inlet and outlet pipe sizes are three inch.

There is no possible answer to your question. At how much pressure drop ? How much ambient airflow, and what temperature drop through the core ?

It is not possible to say a cooler works very well at 299Kw, and is total crap at 301Kw. It does not work that way.

I have heard a lot of experienced and knowledgeable people say 400 BHP (300Kw)is the point where you should start seriously thinking about something bigger.

At that flow there would be a boost pressure loss of about 4 psi to 4.5psi, that might be o/k, and it might not be.

Hi Abusd, save you the trouble of a PM, we use standard R33/34 GTR intercoolers up to 300 rwkw, over that we use a Greddy 600 X 300 X 115. That's our rule of thumb. BTW we always use tube and fin, never bar and plate.

I have only tested 1 X GTR at 50 lbs of air per minute (enough for around 300 rwkw) and it had 3 psi higher pressure at the turbo outlet than at the plenum, using turbos that were pretty much at their limit. Indicating there was a pressure drop of 3 psi, but not all of that was in the intercooler, some would have been in the pipes, the silicone joiners and the plenum inlet itself. We stuck the Greddy, I mentioned above, on and the car then showed 1.5 psi. So I can only say for certain the intercooler was at least 1.5 psi.

What Warspeed said is right up to a point, the pressure drop increases very fast once you exceed the airflow limit. It might get to 6 psi at 60 lbs (another 60 rwkw) and that's a problem if your turbo is at its limit. If we want more power (much over 300 rwkw), it will most likely be cheaper to upgrade the intercooler than upgrade a pair of turbos.

Hope that helps

Thanks heaps, ive got a GTs-T and thinking of fitting one of these, chasing about 250-270rwkw, me thinks ill get a GTR core!

Do GTR cores come out in bar and plate, or only tube and fin?

Thank you very much for all your help guys!!!

:):):rofl::rofl::cheers::cheers:

• 3 months later...
sorry to drag this old post up again...

SK et al...

Any reason why the bar and plate is not used ??

Hi Gizmo, as a generalisation, bar and plate reduces the airflow to the radiator, tube and fin cools the charged air better but has slightly more resistance. In a road/circuit car cooling the radiator and the charged air over the race distance is more important than a few horsepower lost as a result of the higher flow resistance.

In a drag car it may well be the other way around, you can't afford any horsepower loss, the engine hardly heats up during the run and neither does the charged air (not compared to a 20 minute race, anyway).

Another of those horses for courses.