SAU Community

Personal Import

180bfj20det

Reading through other's posts through the search function, Im confused between personal import and other types of import schemes and how to comply them.

My car is a s12 silvia Japan version bought in from NZ as a personal import. Have all the documentation to get it complied but have no idea where to start.

Can I keep my mods on this car (full roll cage including side bars, racing seats, 35r turbo, aftermarket management...) or does it need to be returned to standard?

What else is needed to get it complied?

Last of all, where can I take it to for compliance (Gold coast area) and how much does this cost?

My apologies if this duplicates other's questions.

what???

you mean you're bringing a S12 silvia over under australia's "personal imports scheme??"

why bother?? personal import is for people who NEED to bring their cars over - it's costly and difficult with australias regulations..

your car is pre 1jan 1989 build, yeah?

bring it over as that.. (bring it over as a pre-89 scheme car) - that means.. all you have to do is.. apply for import approval, pay for freight and customs.

then change things on the car to comply with the Austrlaian design rules of that year - which are basically nothing.. maybe change a fuel filler funnell or something and have the work signed off by an engineer..

then get it registered!

EASY! (well not EASY but not as difficult as a "personal import" scheme car

Thanks for the response.

Sorry I wasnt clear. I already have the car imported under the personal import scheme (well I bought it off a mate who imported it and who Im still in contact with).

So to clear it up, the car is here in Aus. I have 4 documents:

(1) One that authorises personal import plate

(2) Document of compliance (to be completed by compliar) to be given to transport authority

(3) Owner's document of compliance (same as 2, except kept by owner)

(4) Customs clearance document (states import approval is granted)

Compliance needs to be done before personal import plate can be granted.

So I guess from what you say I can keep my mods and take it to an engineer.

Where can one take such a car to on teh gold coast?