SAU Community

Pod Vs Panel Filters

trappedunderice

what's everyones take on this? i did my best to look for an existing thread on this so apologies if its already a topic. my first port of call so to speak is replacing my current stock unit and i was just wanting opinions/personal experience

i've heard dry pods make a nice induction noise which definately appeals, but require a heat shield to stop them inhaling hot engine bay air, got quoted $300+ for custom fabricated alloy heatshield and K&n pod, or would i be better replacing the square panel filter and fitting a cai? or a combination of pod and cai? i heard anything that doesn't look stock might call for a regency inspection so i guess it's risk verse benefits..

cheers guys!

Edited by trappedunderice

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oooh CIA :):ninja:

(Edit: you fixed it from CIA to CAI)

Anyways - I'd probably stick with a high-flow panel - you should have a snorkel anyway which is a good enough CAI

A pod is more wank-factor until you hit pretty decent rwkw and the panel becomes a restriction - you're forking on for the pod, heatsheild, mounting it properly to avoid issuse with Regency. The noise is also likely to attract more attention from the police, etc.

if i wasnt going high mount i would be getting an arc induction box..

helps with heat soak..

herd the stock airboxes are good for like 300+rwkw..

heck cubes made 350rwkw on his rb25/30!

what's everyones take on this? i did my best to look for an existing thread on this so apologies if its already a topic. my first port of call so to speak is replacing my current stock unit and i was just wanting opinions/personal experience

i've heard dry pods make a nice induction noise which definately appeals, but require a heat shield to stop them inhaling hot engine bay air, got quoted $300+ for custom fabricated alloy heatshield and K&n pod, or would i be better replacing the square panel filter and fitting a cai? or a combination of pod and cai? i heard anything that doesn't look stock might call for a regency inspection so i guess it's risk verse benefits..

cheers guys!

$300 damn man dont worry about heat shields....you will find a lot of cars on here running pods don't have a heat shield and they make some good power too....

Here is what you can do or what i would do:

1 - Go to supercheap/autobarn (where ever) get yourself an adaptor to suit a R34 skyline and while your there get a $30 el cheapo pod filter.

2 - remove the air box and from there on its pretty easy. install the adaptor slap on the pods and you have a pod filter installed.

3 - go to an exhaust place and get them to make 2 brackets up for you so that your pod filter is being held securely otherwise its a defect

All of the above will only cost you roughly $100 if that.

There are lots of HKS pods filter assemblies (including adaptor) going around for $30-$50 nowdays. A new filter will be $15.

I've got a fmic kit which leaves one of the return pipes free to use for CAI too.

I would also suggest getting a good filter for the stock airbox, so you can swap back to the stock setup if you grow tired of the pod setup (or during times of defect blitzes).

:ninja:

thanks heaps guys, i reckon i'll pop into supercheap after work tonight and pick up an adapter + pod(s), i've never actually done anything underneath the hood myself before so i'm a little apprehensive, it's not possible for me to go too far wrong is it?

i'm a teenager so in my mind everything works like gran turismo, take car into shop, pay money, man makes car go faster...

thanks heaps guys, i reckon i'll pop into supercheap after work tonight and pick up an adapter + pod(s), i've never actually done anything underneath the hood myself before so i'm a little apprehensive, it's not possible for me to go too far wrong is it?

i'm a teenager so in my mind everything works like gran turismo, take car into shop, pay money, man makes car go faster...

Buy all your bits and come to vilis friday night. I'm sure the guys wouldn't mind ducking their head under the car for 10 minutes to fit it for you. :ninja:

Just bring along a flat head screwdriver, 10mm socket on a ratchet with extension too.

It is easy. You can't go wrong.

where u live? ill come do it for u! i do nothing duroing the days!

thanks for the offer buddy, i'm in croydon, considering it but i'd feel bad for dragging you out for such a seemingly insignifigant thing plus i should really learn to handle this business myself if i have any hopes of getting the car to an impressive standard,

much appreciated though :ninja:

i live about 10mins from you..

i can always come to watch and tell u what to do?

but yeh all good.. its easy and theres prob a DIY in the main section anyways

^^ that made me almost fall off the chair laughing :)

Buy all your bits and come to vilis friday night. I'm sure the guys wouldn't mind ducking their head under the car for 10 minutes to fit it for you. :ninja:

Just bring along a flat head screwdriver, 10mm socket on a ratchet with extension too.

It is easy. You can't go wrong.

Yeah its an easy fix and prob doesnt even take 10 mins to do...a helped a mate of mine and we did it in the super cheap car park lol..once you take the stock air box off it will start making sense ;)

if oil starts leaking on to the ground, youll know you have gone too far.

lol yeah definitely too far if thats the result lol

Question why not a stock air box and highflow panel filter e.g K&N. It's going to make better power then a pod will with no heat protection or ducting too it... Not to mention all you will do is give the police more to look at or a reason to look at your car further..

Do you know that MINES always runs the stock airbox as he says it creates good enough flow. Good enough for one of the best tuners in Japan good enough for me.

Just my two cents why change what works well.

Edited by 99 GTT

Just try not to make it too much like Need For Speed: Underground ... hehee

i live about 10mins from you..

i can always come to watch and tell u what to do?

but yeh all good.. its easy and theres prob a DIY in the main section anyways

if you're not busy during days once i'm ready to start some more serious mods i'd be very grateful for help if you're still keen then :ninja: