SAU Community

Poor Mans 2 Way

Peter89

Running 2.3mm of shims and locked as in the 180sx, all day, everyday. I love it, it's very predictable, and I like the way the car handles with it. In comparison, I hated the viscous lsd before shimming that would open up whenever I tried to put the power down, including in a straight line.. With 230rwkw there was no way I could keep it straight, but with shimming it's perfect.

Have heard of people going a year or more with their shims as good as they were when new. Depends on how thick you go and what condition the diff is in.

Did it over a few beers with some mates. Cost = Shim $18, Diff oil $25, plus beer and ciggies.

Works a treat, and chunks, skips and chirps everywhere lol Will report if it loosens up at all.

PS - it's great in the wet if you know how to use your brakes/ebrake!

Edited by fiend.

Running 2.3mm of shims and locked as in the 180sx, all day, everyday. I love it, it's very predictable, and I like the way the car handles with it. In comparison, I hated the viscous lsd before shimming that would open up whenever I tried to put the power down, including in a straight line.. With 230rwkw there was no way I could keep it straight, but with shimming it's perfect.

Have heard of people going a year or more with their shims as good as they were when new. Depends on how thick you go and what condition the diff is in.

Did it over a few beers with some mates. Cost = Shim $18, Diff oil $25, plus beer and ciggies.

Works a treat, and chunks, skips and chirps everywhere lol Will report if it loosens up at all.

PS - it's great in the wet if you know how to use your brakes/ebrake!

you should look into better diff oil.... $25 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too cheap

I removed a 0.8mm and a 1.4mm shim and replaced with two 1.49mm, was pretty tight to begin with, a lot of clunking etc.

Couple of months on now and I barely notice it except when full lock reversing out of a parking spot, but even then it's barely noticable.

Still spins both wheels very predictably.. much safer in the bus than the old open centre :P

you should look into better diff oil.... $25 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too cheap

It's a viscous lsd with so much preload that all the spider gears are bound up. I have a thick 85w140 oil in there for that reason, and predictability under heat. Penrite limslip should do the job fine imo, it's made for diffs under heavy load. Have used redline heavyweight before, but sif spend $80+ on diff oil for a backyard locked diff lol What oil were you going to suggest?

Oh btw 1400+km's and 3 days straight of tromping up and down the Great Ocean Road and she's still as tight as the day she went in. Very predictable and fine in the wet too, as long as you are sensible about corner entries and shift the weight appropriately.

• 1 month later...

i have a welded diff on mine since i cant afford a real one just yet . its fun especially on rainy days...but u gotta realize that its locked at all times and going into turns at a fast speed will break traction instasly and make your rear end go nutts. and when normal driving and especially in city limits..hahha be prepared to get strange looks from pedestrians when u take a slow turns...hhahha u go by tires real fast....

My shimmed stocker is still going strong, has worn in to the point where I no longer notice it but still turns both wheels hard and is super predictable.. best addition I've made to the wagon :D