SAU Community

I found out why my old motor blew up!!!!!!!

meggala

we about 3-4 months ago my engine blew up and we found the reason today. I t wasn't a faulty fuel pump or any thing else I had suspected But an inaccurate boost gauge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes I'm serious I threw the car on the dyno yesterday and I'm saying well Ive set the car to a safe level of 10 psi to make sure every thing is ok. and guess what. @ 10 psi my car is actually making 13.8 psi. and you see on my old engine I wanted a bit of boost so I upped it to what I thought was 14 psi and Iwas wondering why it was so hard with the bleed valve I put a restrictor in etc any way I eventualy got it to 16 psi which would be close to 20-21 psi and the car leaned out big time as I had hit the limit of the injectors fuel pump basically. and I fried the motor.

but a good point from this to learn is that yes the vg30 turbo can handel 20 psi of boost ;-) but not on stock fuel pump and injectors. and I wouldn't recommend it all the time either.

It was a real mystery to me as to why the engine went .

cheers

meggala

Well as bad as it was, it is always good to know why this sort of stuff happens. BTW are you sure the VG30 turbo can handle that much boost for a long time? I mean, you might have been really straining it and it's on its last legs now (I hope it isn't for your sake :) ). Either way, was it efficient at that pressure? What's the A/R? I'm thinking I might have to get one for my R33 if they can hold this sort of boost and be efficient. They aren't particularly expensive are they?

Cheers,

Michael

Michael,

I had a VG30 on my car (R33 GTS25-t), and it didn't make any more peak power, however, it did have a stronger mid range. I wouldn't bother upgrading to a VG30 from the RB25 turbo unless you've damaged your current turbo. Your best bet is to grab a larger T4 turbo if you want to see some real gains. If you can pick up a high flowed VG30, they seem to be capable of around 200ish rwkw (I managed 206) at about 1 bar.

matt

Originally posted by MIC33R

Well as bad as it was, it is always good to know why this sort of stuff happens. BTW are you sure the VG30 turbo can handle that much boost for a long time? I mean, you might have been really straining it and it's on its last legs now (I hope it isn't for your sake :) ). Either way, was it efficient at that pressure? What's the A/R? I'm thinking I might have to get one for my R33 if they can hold this sort of boost and be efficient. They aren't particularly expensive are they?

Cheers,

Michael

Originally posted by matlowth

Michael,

I had a VG30 on my car (R33 GTS25-t), and it didn't make any more peak power, however, it did have a stronger mid range.  I wouldn't bother upgrading to a VG30 from the RB25 turbo unless you've damaged your current turbo.  Your best bet is to grab a larger T4 turbo if you want to see some real gains.  If you can pick up a high flowed VG30, they seem to be capable of around 200ish rwkw (I managed 206) at about 1 bar.

matt

mat what turbo u putting in your car now? i saw your car on sat with the bonnet up and i spotted a rb30 block on there!!!:)

Re: Turbo... Something slightly bigger... Say... T76? :)

Should be back on the road any day now... I'll put up some power figures when I get her back.

matt

Originally posted by INASNT

mat what turbo u putting in your car now? i saw your car on sat with the bonnet up and i spotted a rb30 block on there!!!:D

Thanks for the info Matt,

I was looking at a T3/T4 hybrid and realised it was going to cost more than I was willing to pay. There really isn't worth getting under that price range, is there... :) I guess I'll bite the bullet one day.

Cheers,

Michael

Re: Turbo... Something slightly bigger...  Say...  T76? :)

Should be back on the road any day now... I'll put up some power figures when I get her back.

matt

so 300kw@wheels is not enough for ya?? :eek:

Yeah, but with 20psi, I'll bet it went well :)

matt

Originally posted by | hype^ |

figures... :lol:  

saving 100$ or so cost ya a another engine..  

(jokes to all the ppl who have speco boost guages)

Nahh - 300rwkw was plenty enough for me (especially seeing as it was a genuine power figure, not a inflated one)...

The turbo let go (due to the TD07 being a fairly pissweak turbo) and the compressor wheel destroyed itself into the housing... So I didn't really have much choice in the matter :)

matt

so 300kw@wheels is not enough for ya?? :eek:

Nahh - 300rwkw was plenty enough for me (especially seeing as it was a genuine power figure, not a inflated one)...

The turbo let go (due to the TD07 being a fairly pissweak turbo) and the compressor wheel destroyed itself into the housing... So I didn't really have much choice in the matter :)

matt

did the comp wheel let go while driving hard?

i also noticed u havent copied my wing as yet :)

LOL - Yeah, whilst racing an LS1 as a matter of fact :D But you'll be happy to know that even with the stuffed turbo i still out accelerated him! :)

Yeah, no wing as I haven't had the car on the road to get it done... She's been out of action for about 7 weeks :)

matt

LOL - Yeah, whilst racing an LS1 as a matter of fact :)  But you'll be happy to know that even with the stuffed turbo i still out accelerated him! :)

Yeah, no wing as I haven't had the car on the road to get it done... She's been out of action for about 7 weeks :D

matt

hav u eva run it at calder? and can u beat ice180's car?

:)

Re: Calder - Nahh - the only way I'm going to get decent times at calder is if I bolt up some slicks... Doing that, I'll probably destroy either my clutch or gearbox :)

Ice180's car? No contest :D... It was pulled back to stock to be sold last i heard.

matt

hav u eva run it at calder? and can u beat ice180's car?

:)