SAU Community

R33 Gts-T Overheating!

ECR33SA

Hey guys,

Pretty new to Skylines, just bought a R33 GTS and took it on a cruise this weekend, the last three weeks iv had it shes endured a fair amount of city driving with heavy traffic and had no overheating issues. But on this cruise once we started to hit the hills the temp gauge just climbed and climbed, i was not driving erratically or anything, just sitting in 5th gear cruising around 80... My viscous fan does look pretty old and ratty and can be spun by hand VERY easy with the car off (obviously) .. Anyways, im pretty positive this is the issue as we flushed out the whole cooling system when i got the car... would i be better of replacing the vicous fan with a thermo or two? or just replacing it with a standard fan? and does anyone one know what size thermo's wil fit etc?

Ramble over... Any help would be great!

Cheers

obvious question first, have you checked the thermostat? if not, check that first.

the possible causes of overheating are: dodgy thermostat (very common), dodgy clutch (viscous) fan (semi-common), blown head gasket (not that common), worn out water pump (not that common) and a blocked radiator (common and simply flushing it doesn't do a thing).

as for thermo vs clutch fan, personally i'd stick with the clutch fan. when they work properly they more than do the job (hence why they were used for so long). if going the thermo route then look at something like an AU falcon setup. i think they only require minimal work to get them to fit and they come with a shroud, etc, and since they are a factory setup (on a car designed for the australian climate) you know that they will work well.

Thanks for the quick reply man! Thermostat has been checked and works fine. If I run water through the top of my radiator with the bottom hose off it flows through fine so I'm assuming it's not blocked. Thanks for your input on the thermos vs viscous, I can get a viscous one for free so I might chuck that on this weekend and see how I go. Hopefully save some money!

I would almost be tempted to check the water pump mate, mine let go a few months ago and the fan was extremely easy to move around. It could be that the vanes on the water pump are worn out or corroded and not flowing properly.