SAU Community

Changing Registration From Interstate

GTAAAAAAH32

Hey SA SAUers,

New memeber on SAU, just wondering about a couple of things.

I am about to buy my dream car in an R32 GTR, however i will probably buy it from interstate... Just a little cheaper and much more variety. I m being quite picky in what i want.

Here is my question. How hard is the changover process from NSW, QLD, VIC plates to SA? If i buy a modified GTR how hard will it be to change the rego? What is the process? Does it go to regency and get thoroughly looked over just due to being a turbo jap car?

How much are we talking?

ANYONE OUT THEE PLEASE LET ME KNOW...

Cheers,

Matt

Will need to go for ID inspection within 90 days of being bought, Kinda like the 14 days of changing rego when you buy a car in SA. If during the ID inspection the inspector sees something he doesn't like, or something doesn't match, ie. engine numbers, you will be sent for a full inspection.

If everything matches up and the car is stock or not obviously modified, then they'll give you the all clear, then you go around the corner into the rego office and fill in the paperwork, pay the cash, and get your SA plates.

Thanks for the info mate

By inspector i assume you mean taking it to regency? How much is all the paperwork if it gets the all clear? Is the guy checking the car have any idea about modified cars? i mean im not going to show him a skyline with a 454 chev with a blower but how much do they know? How much mods can you hide or get away with? Sory bout all the questions just want to know to be safe and secure!!!

cheers

matty

When you buy a car from interstate you do the following:

- take car to Vehicle Identity Inspection Station/ID inspection(down the road around the corner from Vehicle Inspections) - if all the engine/chassis/rego/compliance numbers match up they give you a form of approval then you go to Transport SA and transfer the car to your name

- failing the above due to no compliance plate or mismatch engine/chassis number or they find any obvious defects then you will be sent to Vehicle Inspections(Regency) to have the car looked over - they WILL go through your car with a fine tooth comb - all illegal modifications will need to be removed

so all in all what you guys are saying is,...

As long as the car has no outrageous mods (massively too low, 20's, 1000db exhaust, etc,) and all the chassis/engine/compliance items line up, it all should be sweet?

anyone had experience with this??fill me in??? :thanks:

From my recent experience make sure anything obvious which is not stock is hidden or removed. That includes turbo timers, boost controllers, aftermarket BOVs, suspension, intake mods, loud exhausts etc. As well as an ID check they go over and look for basic defects.

Earlier this month I had to take the GTR through for an ID check and I was rejected twice – once for tint, having an engraved VIN rather than stamped and not having an English manual in the glove box. The second time they got me for having coilovers even though the first inspector told me they are fine. If they do find issues I found they like to only list a couple and once you get those rectified and go back they will point out a couple more. Basically make sure they can’t pick on anything.

Before you go, ensure the car has some form of valid registration or you will need a day permit from the motor registry. They will refuse to perform the inspection if you don’t have some form of valid registration or a permit and obviously you run the risk of being fined for driving an uninsured and unregistered car if you don’t.

If you are unsure and need more information ring Service SA and they will tell you everything you need to know.

they can be extremally pedantic about it also.. my wife bought a bog stock MX5 from melb and she took it thro for an ID check to get the rego trasnferred and they failed her because the window tint (which didnt look that dark at all really) was 7% too dark..... ffs.

had to peel it off and take it back.. what a waste of time

I bought a modified R33 GTR from Sydney and it took me 3 times to get it cleared. I dont know why they vcant do there job properly the first time. They let the pod filters pass because they were seure and they couldnt find the bost controller. Take it back to stock as far as you can get it and then go through regency and get it right the first time. My lesson learnt. Dont think that she'll be right they wont see that because they might

i was lucky when i brought my old R33 in from vic.... she just told me it was a year younger than i thought and yea.... easy as that...although i have a feeling i got lucky

• 9 months later...

I am in a simliar situation to this. I just bought a V35, 20" wheels but legal (from what a tyre place told me) , my exhaust is loud & the window tint on the rear window is very dark. Not sure how I will go. Wondering if I may be OK as it is not one of the turbo models which I suspect they would pick on more. I also have a query regarding the Victorian Registration. Will it be cancelled & returned to the original owner? I have 4 months remaining & would prefer that money in my account not his :-)

Vehicle ID inspection is obviously not a full Regency but there are certain things that they look for which can and does trigger a full inspection, ie;

window tint

car too low

oil leaking everywhere - (steam clean the engine bay and underneath beforehand)

bald tyres - (or protruding from guards)

loose aftermarket pods - (secure them beforehand)

and probably many more obvious things

Took it down today. In & out really quickly, I had almost black window tint on the rear window, loud exhaust & big 20" wheels (legal from what I am led to believe) but the guy was really good & didn't even blink. NIce work

i went through this process 18months ago with my r34 GTT. i took out the boost controller, turbo timer, pod, put stockies on with plenty of meat, put the spoiler back on and gave it a good wash and vacuum. only mods i had on it when i went through was lowered suspension and a cat back trust exhaust (which wasnt that loud).

When i went in to get my inspection, there was a blue 33 gts-t up on the fkn hoist so i shat myself, pity he had a locked diff/straight pipes/stretched fitment etc.

If your car looks 90% stock and is clean, you will get through no dramas. If your buying interstate i would recommend you get a car that has the stock parts to change back to if you need.

They also checked my turbo to make sure it was standard.

Took it down today. In & out really quickly, I had almost black window tint on the rear window, loud exhaust & big 20" wheels (legal from what I am led to believe) but the guy was really good & didn't even blink. NIce work

they are only usually concerned about the front door windows..............Regency may think otherwise

they are only usually concerned about the front door windows..............Regency may think otherwise

unless its standard privacy tint, regency roadworthy may have an issue but for the most part ID guys are ok (even though ive seen a couple guys working at both)