SAU Community

Read This! Encomberance Checks!

slipperywhenboosting

I bought a rx7 three years ago and have since rebuilt the car from the ground up, put in a s5 13b turbo, completely overhauled the interoir, 18" mags, custom paint job, custom bodykit and lots of electronics and motor upgrades. Over $15000 was spent.

Two weeks ago i received a letter from savings and loans saying i must surrender the car to them due to an unpaid loan. i didn't understand this because i paid for the car outright. when calling them they told me that a loan was taken out six years ago for the car by a past owner and $5900 was still owing.

After seeking legal aid i was told i could either pay them $5900 or surrender the car. due to financial diffuculty as i am now a uni student and no family member or friend willing to help me out i had to give up the car.

Legal aid asked why didn't i get an encomberance (outstanding loan) check done on the car when i bought it. being ninteen i had no idea such a check could be done.

I have found out now that checks can be done for $10 at any registration department.

If you or anyone you know know is buying a car privatly or through a car yard, get this check done, even if you know the person you are buying the car from.

I will keep every one posted on what happens.

Thanx for taking the time to read this.

I guess you'll check next time! Can't say I have any sympathy for you making such a fundamental error, but you've learnt so life goes on. Not good in any case!

I would say you have the right of possession to anything you bought on the car, so remove all your investments and then give it to them, that is of course if you can't sell it.

What sort of RX7 is it? S3 or something? $5900 owing is a hell of a big amount for a loan that had already been payed off for 3 years if its an older model, I can sort of understand it if it was a S4/S5 !?!?

I got mine done throught REVS in QLD, car checked out..........then I got it and the motor was shafted. Sometimes you just cant win, sorry to hear about that though, especially after what you put into it.