SAU Community

Windows Cant Detect A Hdd - Any Hope Of Recovering Data?

*LOACH*

• 1 year later...

So last night my 1tb buffalo external hdd said fk you. I was being goo and doing a clean up of crap, moving files from the laptop over etc.

Near the end of the few hours of clean up the whole Process was taking a long time to finish, and I was tired so I shut the computer down... But even that was taking super long. So I hard powered off (held power button).

So that was probably a bad move but I feel the hdd was on its way out being it was so fkn slow.

The hdd is not recognized as a hdd, but is viewable within the (right click my computer and disk management section), but it's not blue, it's black and has a sector error when it's initialized. No idea. All the googling is pointing towards a physical problem with the hdd.

Any chance of DIY recovery? No fussed about losing movies or tvshows, but the years of family/social photos I want to recover...alot.

Edited by barraspalding

DONE!!!!!!!!!! only took a bit over 8 days to scan and then another day or so to copy. Today off to try to explain to the shop including having to say about 4 or 5 times that I dont care about the data on the drive anymore just gimme money or another drive and understanding about 2% of the Japanese that was being said to me. Dont know whats been corrupted but so far a lot seems to have been recovered. Mini power tool data recovery 6.5 did the job although I reckon Disk Internals would have done the same job in about 2 days.

Anyway big thanks to everyone who helped out. Very much appreciated.

This guy, he knows...oh hang on that is me...yeah just try Mini power tool data recovery. Free download and it is small...unless something has changed since I used it.

Good luck with it.

Edited by *LOACH*