SAU Community

Scam?

glaze

Im getting scammers... 2 in a week... latest one was the oil rig guy... my response:

Hi John,

Thanks for your email.

WOW!!! You work on an oil rig? So does my dad? Which Oil Rig are you working on at the moment? Maybe you could speak to him if you're on the same one... that would make it so much easier!

Ive always wondered what it would be like working on an oil rig... Dad always comes home and tells me all these amazing stories about them. Are they Dangerous? Is it scary being out there on an Oil Rig?

Can you send me pictures of your oil rig? Im creating a collection of Oil Rig photos that im going to auction off on Ebay to try and make some extra money... I would be willing to go halves with you if you can provide me with some good photos... What are your paypal details so I can transfer the money through to you once the auction has ended?

I was thinking that If my dad and you work on the same rig i could have the car helicoptered out to you so you can see it in person, then if you like it you can just transfer me the money and then have it helicoptered back when you go back onshore?

The other day i was thinking about joining an oil company and go out on a rig, i hope you dont mind me calling it a rig, im not trying to be disrespectful, im just trying to get into the mindframe of a rigger... is that what you guys call yourselves? I think if you called yourselves riggers it would be pretty awesome, everyone would look at you and be like, that guys a rigger, how cool... is it cool working on an oil rig?

Do you guys have your own secret society? Whose the head rigger? Do you know him? Do you guys have secret oil rigs that you use in your time off to make extra money? That would be pretty cool... Can I join the Society?

Please let me know what Paypal details to use as the Auction for the ebay Oil Rig pictures has ended since ive been writing you this email and I want to make sure you get your fair share. It sold for $23.16, so your share would be $11.58.

Back on track, is your courier agent a fellow rigger? Will he be able to teach me a few tricks of the trade before i join up when he comes to pick up the car? Does he have the appropriate paperwork for me to join the Secret Society?

My Paypal details are as follows:

riggersocietywannabe@riggerssecretsocietyshhdonttellanyone.com.au

I look forward to hearing from you!!!

"Rig Master"

P.S do you think anyone would mind that im calling myself "Rig Master"? Its a pretty cool name i think, but i dont want to upset the Society, so if theres any problems let me know please.

Ben

Thats a nice reply, I got the same sort of inquires last month when trying to sell my car, f**k paypal I said payment is cash only or cheque and the car will not be released till the money is in my account. Then all such inquires stopped. I talked to my mechanic about such scams and he relayed a story about a friend of his that had an interstate buyer come over to buy an old commodore drag car (vk or something) rocked up with trailer and all then transfered the money on sellers computer in front of him and took the car. Next day old mate checks his bank and its not there, rings the bank etc and its been cancelled! they have no details either and he never sighted id or anything bye bye car......

Edited by rickr333

I've had that three times on my kart sale. It's fked up.

I just keep replying with "since I've got several similar emails with the same grammatical errors, spelling mistakes and minor variations in situation, I'll have to insist on cash upon pick up".

And I never hear back

Edited by Galois

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I got one of those email too. She wants to buy a GTR for her Aunty.... she'd love that! :)

---

Thanks for the prompt response.. I am ready to buy it for my aunty and i am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it.

I really want this car to be a surprise for my aunty so i wont let her know anything about the car until it gets delivered to her, i am sure she will be more than happy with the car. Due to the nature of my work i am a very busy person working all day.i wont be able to come for inspection but all i really need from you is to be sure that the car is as describe online,preferably if i can get more close up picture (engine and interior inclusive).i have gone through what you wrote on the advert and i am really satisfied with its condition I insisted on pay pal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my pay pal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it.

i will need you to give me your pay pal email address and the price so i can make the payments asap for the car and please if you don't have pay pal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with pay pal so as to put the money through. have a pick up agent that will come and pick the car up after i have made the payments. Regards.

[email protected]

---

I didn't respond for few days - so she sends me a second email which says:

Mate,thanks for the response,i would have loved to call but due to bad weather our SATphone is currently scrambled please can i know the full condition of the car as am buying it for my aunty, she lives in perth,am a sailor and am currently onboard. i want to be sure if the car is still in good condition ,preferably if i can get more close up picture (engine inclusive), i will not be able to come for inspection now all i really need from you is the exact details of the car.

Regards

Mahry. [email protected]

---

How did she SMS me in the first place if her SATphone didn't work?

I removed my mobile number from my ad.

I work for carsales and this problem is happening everyday, anything to do with paypal etc

email private support at carsales and give them the the enquirers email address to have it blacklisted

it doesn't stop them from using another email address of course but its the best option at this stage

Maybe you guys should implement, the word Satphone in some scan and block all emails going thru unbeknownst to the sender..

i had a few recently on there.. all used the same or pretty much the same wording,.

actually i remember receiving a few "normal" emails and or sms's before i got sent this funny novel.

Sailor ay?

When i was selling a bike a month or so ago i got a guy telling me he worked on an oil rig, everything seemed pretty genuine at first apart from the fact that i got not far from the exact same text message twice from two different names and numbers lol

So it was all followed up etc etc and eventually it became simply obvious it was a scam haha

Isnt it sad that there are that many people out there that do this? or maybe more so that it has become normal to us :mad:

yep, i had exactly the same thing, "im working on an oil rig and cant view the item for sale but can set up a pay pal account blah blah . . " i politely told him to F@#K OFF! these people , and i use the term loosely, are out there 24/7 working on ripping us off any way they can