SAU Community

My Trip To Tasmania

JamesK

Hey guys I know I've been a little scarce as of late, if you know me you know I travel a lot and your probably relieved since I haven't been posting anywhere as much as I use to but anyway, I just wanted to post up some photos of an epic trip that me and a buddy of mine did about a month ago to Tasmania. You probably have heard over and over how amazing it is but really the roads and sights are phenomenal and no amount of pictures or explanation would do this trip any justice so if you ever get the money and the time DO IT, it's probably one of the best advice I can give you.

http://www.facebook....23&l=a04e44f838

This album was the start of the trip (obviously) boarding the boat, if you get a cabin (as opposed to ocean recliners) don't get the window you pay extra but see shit all and is not worth it since you'll probably be drinking on the deck anyways. We arrived next morning at 6am and proceeding straight to Stanley (after having a quick stop and Penguin where ironically there is no more Penguins (they have left but you can still see them in Stanley apparently) where we climbed (....fine took the chairlift) up to Mount Nutt Reserve (yes walking around in leathers on a Mountain in 30 degree weather is ridiculously hot) afterwards we spent the night at Queenstown and double backed to Strahan the next morning which is a place I definitely wouldn't mind retiring in if you do travel to Tassi, try to book a hotel here for the night. If you get the chance there is a Train that goes through the mountains in Strahan that looked beautiful but we had a schedule to keep and didn't have 5 hours to go on the train.

http://www.facebook....23&l=267a7a05b7

The end of album one and the start of this one is probably the most amazing road I have ever seen; its a twisty road behind Queenstown which is a mining town and the road is maintained by the mining company so it was absolutely perfect the bends were amazing and really the view from the top was breathtaking. On our way to Hobart we passed a reserve which we stopped to take a break from the ride and decided to see what secrets it had to offer, and it had one hell of a secret. We didn't know to expect until we actually reached the waterfall it was nothing we were expecting to be so close to the main highway but it was one of the highlights of the trip (I know it was just a waterfall but you had to have been there). Once we arrived to Hobart and dropped off our gear and went to Mount Wellington which towers 1271m over Hobart, unfortunately it started to rain when we got up there but never the less the view was still remarkable we wanted to go up again the next day (we spent 2 nights in Hobart) but it was still raining, hopefully if you go you'll have better luck then we did. We ended up missing the ride to Strathgordon where all riders we met on the trip raved about so make sure you don't make the same mistake we did. The next day we went to a wildlife reserve (ZOODOO) located near Hobart(ish) since we wanted to see some tassi devils and got to see (and feed) a whole range of animals, the white tigers, took us by great surprise.

http://www.facebook....23&l=66fc5ff9ba

This album contains more images from the zoo and a Motorcycle museum we found on our way to Launceston from St. Helens (I think, it could have been from Hobart to St. Helens)

http://www.facebook....23&l=be1ed0a60f

After spending the night at Launceston (and getting really really drunk) we went to the Cataract Gorge Reserve if you decide to go here BRING SOME BATHERS! Hot sunny day it would have been perfect, of course we didn't really know if we were going to swim and with limited cargo space we had to skip this part but trust me for all those single guys out there you'll want to bring a set, and if your not single....look but don't touch ;). After that it was back to Davenport where we could only wish we allocated more then 5 days for the trip. Trust me this is a trip of a lifetime if you can do it you wont regret it

Now I took the bike here but I could just imagine how incredible it would have been with the car as well if your keen for this trip check out Hamish's Tasmania POI thread its been on there for ages but if your interested let him know and hopefully we can get some interest on this to have an SAU event for it.

JR

Edit: Grammar and spelling retardness

Edited by JamesK

Spent 6 weeks down there last year,cruised around the whole island.It was totaly amazing loved it,only bad point it was winter and freezing,black ice is not much fun trying to keep your liner on the road. :D

Haha story of my life Birds, when we catching up again anyway?

Cliffies:

James went to Tasmania.

James had fun.

James is now poor again.