SAU Community

New Bushes And Steering Rack Leak Cost

Hey guys,

Took my r34 auto non turbo in for a 'genuine nissan' service. I went to pick it up and they tell me that I've got a minor steering rack leak (its not leaking onto the ground) and the rod bushes are split so it won't past rego without being fixed. They estimated me $3100. Charging $110 for labor for 5 hours.

I think it's a total rip off, but what do you think? Know anywhere I can find new bushes?

Any help/advice is appreciated as it'd be saving me a lot of money....

Also, I'm getting a little steering wheel wobble at 80km+, the guy told me at the start a wheel alignment would fix it but then the service person said it was because of the other things.

Edited by sk8_lad

Fark $3100 for that stay away, I replaced my sterring rack in my R31 when it died (was slipping in housing) and also had a new cam installed and total was $1500 i think.

Repco or the like should have tie rod ends, just jap have longer ones to im pretty shore. and just give the rack a good clean and wait till it goes.

and yea a wheel alimenght is a good idea and wheel balance.

also look at other work shops, they may do it alot cheeper.

Lol $3100 get f**ked.

Ring up some steering rack places and see how much they do change over ones for. If its not loeaking on the ground then its not a road worthy item anyway, it sounds like its not that bad.

Which bushes are rooted?

Either way that sounds way to expensive.

Edited by eightsixboy

thanx for the advice dude. yeah they said the steering would pass rego inspections because it wasnt leaking on the ground but i still want it fixed cos well....im sure u understand :)

they just said all the bushes r split i think and that wouldnt pass rego.

but then they told me my brakes r 50% worn. i replaced them in january myself with brand new ones and had a look and they're hardly worn at all so idk if the bushes r as bad as they say they r cos i dont know WAT they r lol

thanx for the advice dude. yeah they said the steering would pass rego inspections because it wasnt leaking on the ground but i still want it fixed cos well....im sure u understand :)

they just said all the bushes r split i think and that wouldnt pass rego.

but then they told me my brakes r 50% worn. i replaced them in january myself with brand new ones and had a look and they're hardly worn at all so idk if the bushes r as bad as they say they r cos i dont know WAT they r lol

take it to pedders liam,just $14 and make things are bit clearer.took mine,ended up knowing one of the guys,cost me nothing.then performance shop did a free check also.be polite,see how you go.full bush kits are available,do some research on here and net.good luck.

Edited by GT ARRRGH

take it to pedders liam,just $14 and make things are bit clearer.took mine,ended up knowing one of the guys,cost me nothing.then performance shop did a free check also.be polite,see how you go.full bush kits are available,do some research on here and net.good luck.

I don't trust Pedders either. I took my car there for a wheel alignment and free 28 point safety check. They f**ked up the wheel alignment. And then told me my rear cradle bushes were shot and it was going to cost around $5k to fix because it is an import and they have to completely custom make a new cradle. Yehhhhhh no.

If you're in WA then it's WA Suspensions or bust. I took the car there straight after Pedders, the boys said there was a little bit of movement in the cradle but it really wasn't that bad, they replaced the bushes with pineapple bushes to tighten things up and fixed the wheel alignment. Cost me 500 bucks.