SAU Community

Property Needed *vermin Control*

SpeedWhore

Hi Guys :).

Names Sid some of you may know me others wont :). So basically went to a friends farm for my first time shooting and i loved it like i knew i would. I have been able to get my hands on some funds, and will be getting my license soon. IF anyone here has a nice piece of land that you want help with clearing some vermin. Im more then willing to come.

Me and my friend are being taught by his father who mind you is a very responsible person so you need not worry of someone being stupid enough to shoot towards your housing or onto other property's.

If anyone is keen PM me and we can meet up for a coffee and a chat :). Wouldnt mind hunting with someone who has a lot of experience to if you'd want the company :). Im in sydney willing to drive out say 4-5 hours :).

PS: Weekends only please :cheers:

Cheers

Sid

I'm in the same boat, it's heaps of fun. Tried clay targets?

There's a clay target shoot every fortnight at Lucas Heights. Starts at about 730 and runs really late in the night

clays are good fun but the licence is a pain in the ass if you own your gun.

what do you want to hunt mate?

I'd be going .243 or around that area as a decent all-rounder.

Steve do you need a licence for the clays? or is it that silly one shot with someone over your shoulder rule?

wow steady on cowboy.

308 is massive - if your going to be dropping anything smaller then cops i wouldnt bother - .308 will turn a goat/dog/rabbit into mist. My .270 with big grains can pretty much split a goat in half at 150-200m

Your right about the .22 though. It's a good size to learn on and ammo is dirt cheap. What budget are you looking at spending? Have you included safe/scope/trigger locks etc into your budget?

wow steady on cowboy.

308 is massive - if your going to be dropping anything smaller then cops i wouldnt bother - .308 will turn a goat/dog/rabbit into mist. My .270 with big grains can pretty much split a goat in half at 150-200m

Your right about the .22 though. It's a good size to learn on and ammo is dirt cheap. What budget are you looking at spending? Have you included safe/scope/trigger locks etc into your budget?

Atm Im looking at say 800 for the guns. See this is my problem. I want a .223 but i dont know how expensive the ammo is. if it isnt to expensive ill get a Savage Edge (Axis) in .223 form instead of a .22. But if the ammo is ALOT more expensive then ill go .22 and get the .223 later on.

What are your thoughts on price of .223 ammo?

Ever heard of the savage Edge or (axis) as they call it now.

Or instead of a Edge maybe i should go with a Stevens 200? I think that the 200 is actually a internal loading so no mag :(. I dont like that lol..

Well see the problem is if i wanna bring down a pig later on generally a .308 will be needed unless i get a good shot behind the ears or head is that right? :S

Cheers

a .223 will have plenty of punch upto around 200m ans still good at 300, where as the .22 you really are limited to 100m or less for any real stopping power

.223 is quite common but no idea on the price of stuff, I stopped shooting things when I left the Army.

.223 is still fairly cheap. Look at Howa build-it-yourself. You choose the calibre, stock and scope and once your PTA is approved you pick it up from your local dealer. Easily the best comprimise between cost and quality. Savage/ruger/winchester will set you back heaps of $.

Try not to over-budget for the gun then put a shit scope on it. Try and do the opposite. You can make i shit gun still alright if you get get it to shoot straight, but a shit scope on an awesome gun is useless. Look at a brand called redfeild. They are chinese copies of leupold, and unlike performance car parts, they are actually pretty good.

If you want to specifically drop wildpigs, you can't go past a big 12 gauge shotty, a spotlight and a crate of 200 shells.

22s are for rats and rabbits, 223 would be the smallest I would go, if you want to hit targets and drop them past 300mtrs I would even go bigger.

Main thing to consider is what you are going to Target, distance to Target, and the terrain, small cal is cheap but only good for small targets whereas a larger cal will cost more per round but will take down the larger Target.

You really need 3 weapons to clear out vermin, a 22, a 223 min, and a shotgun.

I use to go hunting with my uncle and his idea was take everything but only use what you need.

What are your Target species ?

Yeah even a .243 and then a 30.06 (which is a necked down .308) ammo is getting expensive, but not outrageously expensive. It's even pretty cheap to shoot big calibres if your accurate.

You can get a decent under-over 12 gauge with all the fruit (auto-eject, muzzle brake, barrel selector) for around $700.

You will find that people with property aren't inclined to hand out invites.. especially if you don't have a licence or are new to shooting..

clays are good fun but the licence is a pain in the ass if you own your gun.

what do you want to hunt mate?

I'd be going .243 or around that area as a decent all-rounder.

Steve do you need a licence for the clays? or is it that silly one shot with someone over your shoulder rule?

22mag & .243 are good all rounders.. I'm in love with my Tikka..

Atm im going with a .22 for small game cheap AMMO and easy to learn on. When i feel i need something bigger ill go .308 plenty of ammo for it and a good size for any sized animal :)

Cheers

Arghhh.. WTF are you going to do with a .308

Yeah even a .243 and then a 30.06 (which is a necked down .308) ammo is getting expensive, but not outrageously expensive. It's even pretty cheap to shoot big calibres if your accurate.

You can get a decent under-over 12 gauge with all the fruit (auto-eject, muzzle brake, barrel selector) for around $700.

Ahh making your own is sooo much cheaper :)

Buying them in bulk works out pretty good.. was picking up remys for my 30.06 in a bulk for like $250 for 15 packets I think..

dif is right.

1. press your own ammo to save $$$

2. .308 is massive. It destroys worlds. There's no need to go that big unless you want to spend $10k + on a target tacticle and split roos in half from over a km away.

3. get a .223 or a .243.

4. Tikka is an awesome brand. can be expensive

5. hit up usedguns.com.au to get an idea for what you want re price over quality.

6. Land owners get nervous letting inexperienced people they don't know on there land. The alternative is to get your r licence and shoot on state land. Hit up the game council website - it's a fairly easy test and its more common sense then anything else. You just register for spots on the website when you want to go out and your done!

7. On a side note, start reading about what you want to hunt. Do a bit of study on how foxes/deer live and how they act. I say this from experiance for walking around paddocks for a whole weekend and not even spotting anything. The little things really count, how you walk, wind direction, cast shadows, topography, the clothes you wear etc

dif is right.

1. press your own ammo to save $$$

2. .308 is massive. It destroys worlds. There's no need to go that big unless you want to spend $10k + on a target tacticle and split roos in half from over a km away.

3. get a .223 or a .243.

4. Tikka is an awesome brand. can be expensive

5. hit up usedguns.com.au to get an idea for what you want re price over quality.

6. Land owners get nervous letting inexperienced people they don't know on there land. The alternative is to get your r licence and shoot on state land. Hit up the game council website - it's a fairly easy test and its more common sense then anything else. You just register for spots on the website when you want to go out and your done!

7. On a side note, start reading about what you want to hunt. Do a bit of study on how foxes/deer live and how they act. I say this from experiance for walking around paddocks for a whole weekend and not even spotting anything. The little things really count, how you walk, wind direction, cast shadows, topography, the clothes you wear etc

I paid $800 for my Tikka plus scope was $230

Love usedguns.com.au, I also pop into the shops every now and then to see what they have in.