SAU Community

Hot Version And Best Motoring Dvd

Most of you are probably familiar with Hot version and Best Motoring DVD's from Japan.

They've been around for 24 years now which is basically 2 thirds of my adult life. We've had a very close relationship with the guys who created these awesome productions for some time now so it comes with a bit of difficulty that I was told they were killing both series immediately. Even harder to pass on the news, especially since we were in talks with the creators to bring back English versions not long ago.

Not happy about this at all and a real shame to see such established names fall to the publishing company axe... what does this mean for the rest of print and multimedia content I'm wondering...

http://www.7tune.com/news-best-motoring-and-hot-version-killed-off/

I spoke with them today and asked them that exact thing... they said it was because sales have been falling for 3 years.

Kodansha is the biggest publishing house in Japan and they own 2&4 Motoring who make the DVD's so they call the shots. There was a chance if they were able to think outside Japan one more time...

That surprises me to be honest, i mean there still popular.

I guess with people just downloading them of the net or whatever sales would suffer but still, to completely pull the pin on both is a bit extreme imo.

I'm with you on this and it came from out of nowhere.

I don't know how much leeching from the net has had to do with it but for sure it's part of it but still... if they weren't able to sell enough to stay in the game here in Japan then something was seriously wrong. We were so close to making a deal where we would supply services for subtitles and translations its pissing me off to retype it...

this seriously blows, desire to learn japanese to watch the stuff now diminished :(

favourite were the american touge dvds, i have 1,2 and 3. classic tuner battles galore and the right amount of whimsy and bonhomie along with the hardcore nerd knowledge regarding their rides.

what a freakin day.

I guess with people just downloading them of the net or whatever sales would suffer...

It pisses me off that scumbags can get around right-protection on dvds like Motive DVD too.

These guys put in so much dedication and passion into their productions - and so, anyone who gets caught copying should be put into stocks in the middle a town sq + their name revealed

The best motoring and hot version are actually dvd's i dont mind paying full price for, i never bother buying dvd's for movies but stuff like this is really a joy to watch, something no aussie or american car show could achieve imo.

Oh well, looks like i'll end up watching the ones i have many more times over.

Wow, what sad news.

HV and BM were catalysts for most of our crazy obsessions with all things JDM (i know it was mine).

The day they stopped to the international versions i was gutted! I feel that this alone would have hurt sales ALOT back then.

I can only hope that some of the people working there realise that there still is a market and make an offshoot DVD.

Something that i have always paid full price for.

Not only do i have most HV/BM DVDs but i have boxes of Japanese VHS :)

hmmm video night in each state to honour said demise?

I can bring about a dozen or so best motor vids..we could just hit the highlights, I will bring chips and dip if someone else brings chicken wings?