SAU Community

Would Like To Volunteer At A Mechanics ...

Jonno34

Hey everyone,

I've been asking around how best to learn about cars and mechanics ... Im in uni so I can't do a tafe course or apprenticeship or anything at the moment which is a real shame..

I'm looking at doing the MITA induction course at the end of year during uni break

I've been reading up as much as I can from various books and magazines etc, but I'm not the greatest at digesting theory (lol what am i doing at uni!) and would love some hands on experience but I dont have and cant afford a good set of tools etc yet, and I don't really have a car to work on (too scared to work on the skyline) as of yet .. I need to sort out somewhere to store a cheap bunky car for me to play around with mechanically etc

I have basically nearly 0 knowledge and experience of working on cars .. besides detailing and oil/filter changes on the skyline

Do you think its possible that a mechanic wouldn't mind having a noob such as myself come down a day or two every week when I have some spare time and they arent very busy to be a royal pain and get in the way while I try to learn?

Would anybody know anyone who wouldnt mind this and be able to hook me up? I won't be able to start anytime soon with uni exams coming up and I'm doing alot of vacation work during the holidays to earn some much needed money (will be pretty much working almost everyday) But I'm hoping to be able to start once the second semester begins

I'll probably contact the mechanics around my area (Claremont) .. There's a decent amount of them around (ultratune and auto masters and other small businesses)

My hopes arent high but I'd really love to do this if its at all possible

Let me know what you guys think :)

Cheers everyone

The biggest hurdle you are going to come across is insurance. Public liability and workers comp insurance is a massive cost to small business, and even if you volunteer your time, having a self confessed n00b in the workshop is not going to do much good for a mechanics insurance premium unfortunately. I went through this pain when I wanted to start drafting, and that was in a relatively safe working environment (an office)

Secondly, most people will tell you that a first year apprentice costs way more than they make for their employer, so without the promise of making them money further down the track, you will be relying on the good nature of the mechanic/workshop manager (pauses fror hearty guffaws) to give you a shot.

IMO wait until you have finished at least part of the TAFE course, even just to show how dedicated you are. And persevere. Above all else, persevere. If you truely are passionate about suceeding at a given task, the only thing that can ever let you down is your own attitude.

Ahh .. I forgot about insurance :( Yeah thats definitely gonna be another barrier

Well TAFE also has some short courses on car maintenance and the like, I'll definitely do those in the second semester of Uni

I was kinda sceptical about this idea to begin with but I can't think of other ways to get some good hands on experience ... But I've emailed the ultratunes/midas/auto masters and I'll give some other mechanics a call .. maybe I'll just get lucky and find some incredibly nice person ...

But I really doubt that they'd hire anybody with 0 experience/qualifications .. hopefully the TAFE short courses will be a bit of a help there but thats a fair way of :(

i would say many mechanics wouldn't mind if you:

hang out

watch

take notes

wear approiate PPE gear (safety gear)

dont touch anything...

but yeah aside from that there's no insurance liability

The whole insurance is a damn shame :(

makes sense though I guess but its a real barrier to alot of employment situations or in this case volunteering

Best way to do this is to just dive in. Start simple. I swapped over an exhaust system the other month ( new cat and cat back). Minor job but it mare me feel more confident. Next I did the brake lines. Cool thing with that was it was a minor job that then taught me how to bleed the lines. During this I buggered up a caliper. 100 later had me two replacement calipers. Fitting these also taught me how to change brake pads.

Next up was swapping all 4 shocks...

And on and on it will go.

If you like go buy a blown engine for cheap. Slowly striP it down and put it back together while fixing it up. Throw a BBQ with free beer and invite sau to come drink it and play with your engine. Make sure it's alot of beer.

Yeah definitely I'd love to start working on my own car, I just need to buy a good set of tools and such ... which will be quite a large cost initially I think ...

I am also planning on getting a cheaper car ... but at the moment I have no clue where to put it and if i'd rather a cheap daily run around, family size car, or performance ... Just need to consider it all first properly! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck too u all I can really add is don't go cheap on tools save if u have to and wait for sales and buy some decent stuff like Sid chrome or kin chrome for instance if u shop around u could pick up a set with life time warranty for around 1k and that will have everything except for specialty tools but remember to always look after them

Yeah I'll go slow on the tools, maybe buy good quality stuff as I go slowly ...

Or im thinking of using the Workshop in forrestfield thats available for hire "m'mates place" or something till I have some good tools :)

Yeah mate m mates place is good but otherwise I do all my own work if u want a hand and want to learn I can teach u a fair bit so u have some idea I have most tools as well and i can help u out if you need things done

Yeah mate m mates place is good but otherwise I do all my own work if u want a hand and want to learn I can teach u a fair bit so u have some idea I have most tools as well and i can help u out if you need things done

Throw a BBQ with free beer and invite sau to come drink it and play with your engine. Make sure it's alot of beer.

good idea. im a sucker for boos and a bbq, im sure theres more alcoholics on here who know a thing or 2

Hey Brenno, cheers so much for the offer that would be great!

Mechanics seem to be unwilling to take a unqualified person in even as a volunteer which is understandable but a pity :(

I should be getting a nice lil bunkie car sometime soon. Hopefully this one actually goes through, I've had real bad luck with cars selling just before I confirm to buy the car ... but already confirmed this one and hopefully it goes well, just gonna get a friend to come with me and check the car out real thoroughly this weekend!

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• He could just take the Bogan Cruise Ships setup... Already got a good setup, with blower, the auto was rebuilt too wasn't it? Perfect time for him to upgrade the tailshaft, diff, and axles...    And wouldn't need to waste money on redoing the Commos seats, as he could just buy race seats for the 5...   As a highly modded car he could avoid the ability to give it away to offspring too when they crash their cars...
    • It's really interesting how much it's moving left to right, and doesn't appear to be actually spreading. For this to be moving left to right, without flaring, means unequal forces being applied until equilibrium hits in one way or another.   Reasons it could be unequal; Piston sizes left to right are different sizes. Only minute differences. Pistons moving on different planes. That is, are they moving directly straight at each other, or slightly out of alignment. The fluid is restricted getting to one side.   Some tests you could do. Pull the bleeders on the left and right, fit each side with pressure gauges. It will allow you to make sure pressure is equal (and really, it should be as fluid flow is so damn low, so fluid flow dynamics shouldn't come into it).   With the calipers off the car, have both sides retracted as far as possible, measure very very accurately (think micrometre) distances between opposing pistons in four different spots per set of pistons. Firstly, on each opposing pistons pair, the measures on for different spots should be equal. If it's not, and especially if one spot appears to actually get closer compared to another, the pistons aren't aligned, and now the forces left to right won't be equal, as they're the forces fighting each other.   You can also pull all the pistons out, and very very accurately measure the diameter of them. If they're not equal left to ight in the pairings, and especially if the area of the pistons on one side is different to the area on the other overall, it'll all be out of whack.   My bet, is shit QC in making sure the pistons move in the same plane left vs right. Some minor out of square machining, and nothing will line up, things will want to move around.  
    • Whilst putting a V8 in a MX5 would be fun, it would negate the whole cheap to run fun daily that the MX5 will be used for If I wanted a faster little convertible I would have got a engine check light, I mean a BMW Z4 M, but going off the issues that the guy at work who recently got one is having, it is lucky I didn't  Meh, horses for courses, the Bogan Cruise Ship is my go to for some horse torques    
    • I reckon give him a few months, LSX swap would be good
    • Mark needs to get bored at work and order things on here...