SAU Community

Looking To Buy A V36...pls Help

hi all... most of you wouldnt have seen my name b4 on here. as ive spent my time in the stagea section!

i am in adelaide, and have had a few stagea over the past few yrs, and am looking to move away!

my reasons being

-wanting something i cannot easily modify

-something a bit different again (stageas everywhere now)

-comfort

-and just generaly a nice, easy car :)

-the reasons i like the v36 are, thats its different, looks amazing!, still in the jap scean whilst not really a moddable car!

now i want to know a few things b4 jumping onto the looking around boat

-stageas come in different series, with minor cosmetic differences, and a few interior options - do v36's vary a whole lot from year to year?

-stageas have whats called a DAYZ edition. a few extra body bits such as kits, extra fog lights a few have carbon fibre look alike dash - is there a special edition of v36's??

i do have a little shit box so i may look down the importing road, as they are much cheaper to do this way.

things i want

-aus sat-nav (how hards it to convert)

-leather (full with heated)

-sunroof

-xenon head lights

-and probly only black, but the red and white also look nice

-i notice there are a few different types of wheels they come with... is this just a year to year thing?

what other options do they come with?

who are you all insured with (rough price wd b good)

and finaly how hard are they to comply?

is there any issues, bits to look at? do's, donts.... and how are ks on these.... there not easy to wind back, but honestly who believes jap dashes!!

cheers adam :)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also... manual or auto?

i personaly dont really like manual stagea, yes they feal nice but there such a heavy car!...

is it fair to say a car like this is best braught auto? i guess the semi auto system is quite good?

do v36's vary a whole lot from year to year?

is there a special edition of v36's?? .things i want-aus sat-nav (how hards it to convert)-leather (full with heated)-sunroof-xenon head lights-and probly only black, but the red and white also look nice-i notice there are a few different types of wheels they come with... is this just a year to year thing? what other options do they come with?who are you all insured with (rough price wd b good)and finaly how hard are they to comply?is there any issues, bits to look at? do's, donts.... and how are ks on these.... there not easy to wind back, but honestly who believes jap dashes!!cheers adam :)

There are four specs.

If you want leather with heated seats and all the fancy bits you'll want the Type SP. The later models 2009(?) have self-healing paint for minor scratches.

Compliance is covered under SEVS so there are no major dramas there. No hassles with my compliance.

I went through an insurance broker and have full comprehensive for $1800 (34, perfect history)

You should be able to find a low KM car pretty easily

Black is the most highly sought after colour. Good luck finding the car you want. I waited three months for the right car to come up at auction and bid on it. Finding someone with access to the auction sites seems to be a LOT better than relying on an importer to notify you when the car you want shows up. Grab the auction ID, talk to your importer, organise someone to inspect the car on the ground in Japan, and get ready to bid. :)

also... manual or auto?i personaly dont really like manual stagea, yes they feal nice but there such a heavy car!...is it fair to say a car like this is best braught auto? i guess the semi auto system is quite good?

The paddle shift auto is ok, not brilliant. I leave it in auto mode 95% of the time. A bit clunky for my liking but I'm comparing to Ferraris and Porsches I've driven. :)

also towing... i have a jetski and was wondering if any one has towed with these b4? obviously more than going to pull it... but whats the cost of towbars? any one?

NFI on towing capacity.

hi all... most of you wouldnt have seen my name b4 on here. as ive spent my time in the stagea section!

i am in adelaide, and have had a few stagea over the past few yrs, and am looking to move away!

my reasons being

-wanting something i cannot easily modify

-something a bit different again (stageas everywhere now)

-comfort

-and just generaly a nice, easy car :)

-the reasons i like the v36 are, thats its different, looks amazing!, still in the jap scean whilst not really a moddable car!

now i want to know a few things b4 jumping onto the looking around boat

-stageas come in different series, with minor cosmetic differences, and a few interior options - do v36's vary a whole lot from year to year?

-stageas have whats called a DAYZ edition. a few extra body bits such as kits, extra fog lights a few have carbon fibre look alike dash - is there a special edition of v36's??

i do have a little shit box so i may look down the importing road, as they are much cheaper to do this way.

things i want

-aus sat-nav (how hards it to convert)

-leather (full with heated)

-sunroof

-xenon head lights

-and probly only black, but the red and white also look nice

-i notice there are a few different types of wheels they come with... is this just a year to year thing?

what other options do they come with?

who are you all insured with (rough price wd b good)

and finaly how hard are they to comply?

is there any issues, bits to look at? do's, donts.... and how are ks on these.... there not easy to wind back, but honestly who believes jap dashes!!

cheers adam :)

Hi Adam, totally agree with Mike, you would need to go for an SP model if you want the complete package- Full leather, heated seats, memory seats, reverse and side camera, xenon, built in sat nav etc.. Just to let you know only 10% of all V36 have a sunroof, which not only make sunroof V36s hard to come by price generally goes up as a result of this. The 2009 V36 have a few additional benefits like the self healing paint etc.. but you wont find a 2009 model in the Australian market. Importers tend to import 07 or 08s.

I currently have a 2009 SP which Im selling. I personally sourced and imported it from Japan myself, ensuring I got only best with genuine mileage with complete auction sheet documents stipulating full specs of the car. It is top of the range even its SP class, with additional options; it has tan leather interior rather than the standard black leather and wood grain trim including sunroof and 22" Italian Giovanna chrome rims. Not to mention all the other goodies like heated seats, memory seats, reverse and side camera, xenon, built in sat nav, tiptronic, titanium paddle shifts and full electrics. Its in immaculate condition and has very recently been fully serviced.

I can honestly say I dont think you'll find a better condition V36 esp. with this many additional options. PM if you would like to see some pics or need more details.

Believe i saw it on carsales

I

Did say i wd never drive a non- 4wdcar again tho!! Is the traction control alike of bmw... Look at a corner and it slams on breaks and cuts power.

I hear the 350z is very restrictive on, but off uts generaly on rails... Simular story with your boys cars?

+1 For the SP Model. They come with pretty much everything, only thing that is still an option is Cruise Control (wish I had realised this before buying)

Mine is currently somewhere between Brisbane Port and the compliance workshop so I cant really give any comments with hands on experience but I have test driven a couple of the 4 doors that they have down at FABCAR in Perth and they feel like a serious luxury car, hence the reason I bought one. If you have a look for my post from around 1 month ago in the Newbies section you can see a picture of the auction sheet straight from Japan and if you shoot me a PM I can give you a break down of the import costs to get it on the road. Now seems to be an awesome time to import one, people seem to be offloading them a lot cheaper and the AUD/JPY exchange rate is also pretty good.

The 2007's and 2008's are the best buy as they are now out of their original Rego period, "Shaken" (I wont go into this, google it), so people are wanting to get rid of them. The 2009's will still attract a significant premium, about $1,000,000yen from what I have seen. Black is the most popular colour and also ups the price, as does the sunroof, if you are really desperate for a black/sunroof model, be prepared to pay a heap extra. I have seen black 2008's with sunroof, going for around the same price as 2009 models in a basic colour. If you like the tan leather and woodgrain, they seem to be a little cheaper, not sure why as they are more limited. I personally dont like tan and woodgrain at all but each to their own I guess.

I have looked into the SatNav and it is possible but it will cost a fortune, hit up Chris Rodgers on here and he can apparently do it for you. He will warn you up front that it costs thousands though.

As I said, PM me if you want more info.

Believe i saw it on carsales

I

Did say i wd never drive a non- 4wdcar again tho!! Is the traction control alike of bmw... Look at a corner and it slams on breaks and cuts power.

I hear the 350z is very restrictive on, but off uts generaly on rails... Simular story with your boys cars?

No listed on carsales yet. Also as I had said no 2009 coupes on car sales none in the Oz market. SO much so that carsales doesn't have it in it drop down menu option when trying to listed the ad for this car. This beauty wont last long!!!!

Thanx heaps guys!

I do have a local friend with an extensive car audio/nav etc buisness...

Does imports and has the rights to unlocking the ferrari/lambo sat navs. So maybe its just a swap over of a chip?? Ill speak to him...

Im in no rush at all so ill grab his passcode to japan.auctions.somthing and have a hunt.

If any one could pm me a rough breakdown of what they believe it will cost thatd b great. Also knowing people in japan will help as its more than likely going to be done as a "p.i"

Cheers !!

My advice is don't go for the black. It may seem like the best colour but really its probably the worst. It looks too much like a v35 and you can see every single little scratch on the body. If you can get a white one then that would be much better. Although white is hard to find too.

I recently got a Blue Slate SP model with Sunroof, the selling point was the sunroof as it was really hard to find.

GPS conversion is still a bitch and expensive.

Definitely a good car to purchase, beautiful drive and so much gadgets.

oh really show me the blue one if u can!

yeah i hear what ur saying. i am very particular with what i like with cars. and i wouldnt mind a white one but i think black is still the 1st point of cal

how well does this self healing paint work and how does it actualy work :S

is it a send the headunit system away job to convert and what have others paid to do this?

are there any differences we know about between the 2 and 4 door?...

oh really show me the blue one if u can!

yeah i hear what ur saying. i am very particular with what i like with cars. and i wouldnt mind a white one but i think black is still the 1st point of cal

how well does this self healing paint work and how does it actualy work :S

is it a send the headunit system away job to convert and what have others paid to do this?

are there any differences we know about between the 2 and 4 door?...

I haven't taken photos of my car yet surprisingly enough and Im even into photography lol, but i will over the next few days and post some up for sure.

The self healing paint is only on the >2009 models, mines a 2007. 07 and 08 present best value, you pay so much more for a 2009 which basically has the paint feature and the 7-speed auto (if you are after auto).

So far it appears there is only one reliable and proven installer of a Aussie GPS for the v36 skylines and he is in Brisbane. Its >3K and will need a few days.

All the coupes have the new 3.7l engine while the 07 and 08 sedans had the 3.5' engine. 07 sedans are dirt cheap these days you can pick up one for low 30's for sure but they just dont look no where near as good as the coupes. The sedans arent as wide and have smaller wheels. Same luxury options. They really dont hold price well and arent very appealing but if you need the 4 doors then go for it. you wont get a better blend of luxury and performance for its price.

I would recommend looking first hand at a black v36 and you will see my point. Ive seen almost all the colours and white was my favourite but blue slate is definitely my second. Silver is nice too, Gun Metal ok, Red, no comment.

I haven't taken photos of my car yet surprisingly enough and Im even into photography lol, but i will over the next few days and post some up for sure.

The self healing paint is only on the >2009 models, mines a 2007. 07 and 08 present best value, you pay so much more for a 2009 which basically has the paint feature and the 7-speed auto (if you are after auto).

So far it appears there is only one reliable and proven installer of a Aussie GPS for the v36 skylines and he is in Brisbane. Its >3K and will need a few days.

All the coupes have the new 3.7l engine while the 07 and 08 sedans had the 3.5' engine. 07 sedans are dirt cheap these days you can pick up one for low 30's for sure but they just dont look no where near as good as the coupes. The sedans arent as wide and have smaller wheels. Same luxury options. They really dont hold price well and arent very appealing but if you need the 4 doors then go for it. you wont get a better blend of luxury and performance for its price.

I would recommend looking first hand at a black v36 and you will see my point. Ive seen almost all the colours and white was my favourite but blue slate is definitely my second. Silver is nice too, Gun Metal ok, Red, no comment.

I specifically wanted a black V36 sedan, so I completely disagree with what you've said.

Black is hardest to keep clean, but it looks the toughest and comes up looking a million dollars when it's cleaned. All my cars have been dark coloured, always think they look nicest. There's also a reason you pay a premium for black cars from Japan, they are more highly sought after.

The sedans are great in a V36, it's more practical as a daily and has the virtually the same handling capabilities, weight and power (350GT is about 235kW, 370GT is around 245kW - but like you said from 09 onwards the sedans were available as 370GT's), roughly identical 0-100 time too. Coupe is still a 4 seater too, but drive it every day with passengers and tell me which is better :)

As for holding its price, you can say that about any Skyline. I remember the days when an R34 GT-R was $70k+ just a few years ago. Wait until Infiniti comes out here, what would happen to the price of the V36's then?

I specifically wanted a black V36 sedan, so I completely disagree with what you've said.

Black is hardest to keep clean, but it looks the toughest and comes up looking a million dollars when it's cleaned. All my cars have been dark coloured, always think they look nicest. There's also a reason you pay a premium for black cars from Japan, they are more highly sought after.

The sedans are great in a V36, it's more practical as a daily and has the virtually the same handling capabilities, weight and power (350GT is about 235kW, 370GT is around 245kW - but like you said from 09 onwards the sedans were available as 370GT's), roughly identical 0-100 time too. Coupe is still a 4 seater too, but drive it every day with passengers and tell me which is better :)

As for holding its price, you can say that about any Skyline. I remember the days when an R34 GT-R was $70k+ just a few years ago. Wait until Infiniti comes out here, what would happen to the price of the V36's then?

At the end of the day colour is a personal preference but definitely black is hard to maintain but for me the worst part of this colour is that it hides the beautiful curves of this car. Thats why i said it looks too much like a v35 because its difficult to notice at first the difference in curves initially.

Power wise the sedan is fine but you dont get the bigger wheels and much bigger breaks, so at the end of the day if practicality is your major concern then sedan is better but sportiness, looks wise the coupe is better.

Technically the prices of the v36's 07-09 shouldn't change in price much after Infiniti releases its car in Australia. Prices will drop a little because it will be cheaper to buy from Japan but I believe resellers will probably jack up prices after they compare it too a local model which would be around 80K brand new.

I think Fabcar are selling the G37 convertible for about 80K. They are always over priced probably due to different tax costs in WA but for that price I'd rather wait and buy it locally since it wouldnt be that much more.

Infiniti being released in Australia??? That's news to me.. When is this meant to be happening??

Colour is always personal preference. I always thought black looked the best, but having compared it to the others colours, esp. my vibrant red 370gt coupe, I do agree that black does tend to choke the beautiful curves of the coupe. I find sleek the vibrant red really accentuates the sports car appearance of the coupe. It also attracts a hell of a lot of attention on the roads. You just see the heads turning and re-turning as you cruise by.

The coupe is very roomy having had a 2door Rav 4, the v36 has massive space and legroom for back seat passengers. But certainly a 4door would be more practical for multiple passengers. I preferred the 09 and think its definitely a much better buy than the 08, especially when Im currently seeing SP 08s selling for anywhere up to 60K. This being the case I definitely went for the 09 model and would recommend an 09 esp. when you add the additional features its well worth it. SP tan leather, woodgrain trim, sunroof, 7 speed semi-auto, and the list just goes on and on and on :).. Just look at this little beauty!

4.jpg

Overall this top of the range SP definitely out passes many European a-likes by far.. esp. when comparing all aspects: performance, aesthetics, luxury, efficiency and price.. You cant go wrong with a V36 370GT. Therefore, I say if you can, definitely get the best of the pack by going for the full option 09 or better. But at the end of the no matter how much one may describe a V36 it is not until you actually see it in the flesh that you really begin to appreciate it!