SAU Community

Coolant--Couple Of Questions

naboo

Hi,

I've done a fair bit of searching but have come across a variety of answers, so would appreciate a bit of help.

1.I had the coolant changed when I bought the car (6 months ago). The resevoir tank came back quite low, so I topped it up with demineralised water, about 400ml and its sitting halfway between full and low. Would this affect the properties of the coolant to a significant degree, or is it ok to leave as is--not sure if I really need to change the coolant.

2. I've had a look here/workshop manual/youtube at the flushing procedure. Either now or eventually I'd like to do it myself. The workshop manual/youtube videos seem to just drop the old coolant out and replace it, without really flushing it (is this what most workshops do)?

I'm not keen on trying to remove the drain plug on the block, I think it might best be left alone!

Basically what I'm thinking of doing is:

1. Ignition ON, heat 32deg, drain coolant, remove resevoir tank and coolant.

2. Install resevoir tank, drain plug.

3. Ignition on, heat 32deg, fill engine with demineralised water (can I skip opening the bleeder valve here?)

4. Run up to temp.

5. Let car cool.

6. Repeat 1-3.

7. Open bleeder valve, fill up with coolant mixture, finish as per workshop manual.

Would this work OK to flush the old coolant out? I've read a few different procedures on here but just wondering if this would work.

Cheers!

Easy. Drain coolant from radiator. Remove radiator hoses, put your garden hose in the port for the radiator hose on the block and blast water thrrough the block, put everything back together. Run some coolant through it and get temp up past your thermostat opening temp, let it circulate. Drain that if you want then put your fresh coolant in

Or something like that