SAU Community

Paint Repair

jay-rod

Hey guys

Ive got some pretty bad paint missing on my car.

Reason for it is from my own stupidity.

I tried to remove vinyl's from my car ( i researched it and how to do it but still failed )

The main source of the problems are the side skirts, with paint "flakes" removed upto 10-15 cm by 3cm on each side.

The other main source is near the Fuel opening, which has a 20cm by about 3 cm paint removed, ( completely flaked off).

Now im not sure if this car has been resprayed before so i dont know if its original paint ( hoping it is original )

I have found a couple of placed in perth that do this stuff, but i dont know if they are good for skylines, or the price range for this or if they even do this type of fix.

http://www.dreamworkspanelandpaint.com.au/car_services.shtml

http://www.touchupguys.com.au/perth/eastern.php

What do you guys think?

And anyone else had a similar paint touch up done?

Hey guys

Ive got some pretty bad paint missing on my car.

Reason for it is from my own stupidity.

I tried to remove vinyl's from my car ( i researched it and how to do it but still failed )

The main source of the problems are the side skirts, with paint "flakes" removed upto 10-15 cm by 3cm on each side.

The other main source is near the Fuel opening, which has a 20cm by about 3 cm paint removed, ( completely flaked off).

Now im not sure if this car has been resprayed before so i dont know if its original paint ( hoping it is original )

I have found a couple of placed in perth that do this stuff, but i dont know if they are good for skylines, or the price range for this or if they even do this type of fix.

http://www.dreamwork..._services.shtml

http://www.touchupgu...rth/eastern.php

What do you guys think?

And anyone else had a similar paint touch up done?

Dreamworks are good, I've seen some of their work before. Price will depend on the damage and what type of paint it is (ie, metallic, gloss, etc). Without looking at it, it's hard to say. Could be anywhere from $200 to over a grand. From your description, it sounds like they will have to completely respray your side skirts. You're probably looking at about $300-$400 for that if they do the prep work. The damage near the fuel cap sounds more serious. To do a good job, they would have to completely respray the panel and then blend into the panels next to it. I'd say you're looking at upwards of $500 for that. But best to take it for a quote and see what they have to say.

As for whether it is the original paint or not, look up the paint code in the engine bay and then go here to confirm the colour: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/138419-nissan-paint-codes/

If it's not a match then it isn't a big deal, paint shops have a device that they put on your paint to tell them what's in it so they can determine the colour. So it won't be a problem either way.

Thanks for that. :)

Its a toss up on, new exhaust or Re paint hmmmm.

Like you said got get a qoute to see what they think.

I should of gotten a professional to do the vinyl removal but i was like " how hard could it be"

Stupid me.......I suppose it could of been alot worse...as the vinyl was on the entire side of the car lol.

The Paint looks metallic, i will check the codes after work.

Thanks for that. :)

Its a toss up on, new exhaust or Re paint hmmmm.

Like you said got get a qoute to see what they think.

I should of gotten a professional to do the vinyl removal but i was like " how hard could it be"

Stupid me.......I suppose it could of been alot worse...as the vinyl was on the entire side of the car lol.

The Paint looks metallic, i will check the codes after work.

If it's metallic, I daresay it will be more expensive. It's a real bitch to spray.

You could always just learn how to spray paint yourself... It's not hard :P

Well i have a air compressor and a spray gun attachment.

My brother used it to Respray his entire car.

I suppose i could do it.

How much would paint be for it?

If you've got the equipment, definitely give it a go. It's all in the prepwork. Hardest part is getting the right mixture of paint vs thinners.

Paint cost again depends on the paint. I got 5L of QM1 cloud white mixed for my car for $160. Then clear coat was about $80 for 2L, but it needs to be thinned out so much that I only used about 1L. If you have metallic paint, it will be more expensive. And harder to spray, though still give it a shot. Just practice on something first :P

*EDIT* The effected areas do look a bit challenging. If you have metallic paint, it will be very hard to blend that damage near the fuel lid. Is the damage on the bottom actually on the skirts or just above them?

Edited by Hanaldo

Edit: Its on the Skirts, though there is 1 bit of paint damage on the actual door ( that was there before the vinyl removal ).

Yeh, ill see if i have any friends that have done it before and get them to help out.

~ 250-300 dollars is alot better than 1 grand lol :P

I will still get a qoute actually, just to see the price, if its around the 1k mark ill have a crack at doing it myself.

Edited by jay-rod

call superfinish they will even come out to you and fix it thats who we use for paint work at work. or even call a company called scratch and match they are very good also

Yeh I don't think KV2 is metallic, pretty sure it's just a gloss. Easy to tell just by looking at it anyway, does your paint have tiny flecks of metal in it?

I can definitely recommend Topgun Touchups 0433 837 839

I got him to do some temporary touchups thinking I'd respray the bumpers later.

He did such a good job there was no need

My GTR is silver too

Edited by R34