SAU Community

Fix Your R34Gtr Mfd Multifunction Display Lcd

Chris-06R

Did this today and very happy with the result.

The hardest bit for me was cutting the film and getting it to sit on there flat with no bubbles - etc. Got it pretty much spot on 4th time around.

Noticed that it is a necessity to cut it the new film to cover the LCD screen only, not the whole screen and the metal border like the pic in the original post.

Thanks again mate, great write up.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

im not sure about that one but the guy that owned my GTR b4 me has replaced the plastic screen that goes over the film and has cracked the plastic around the buttons, thing rattles when driving and im going crazy because of it, also the screen looks like its been pushed on to tight like the plastic is pressing on the LCD screen in the corners (like when u put ur finger on a TV or computer screen) so i think he has done something wrong there to, looks like im gona have to pull it all apart and get my superglue/plastic weild out or buy a new unit because of this crack :verymad:

You can see it rly well in this pic buy what i mean.

post-83784-0-36043400-1348645689_thumb.jpg

Edited by T4NK

• 3 months later...

I was able to get another shot of the MFD.

To me it looks like it could be the polarising film?

Can anyone confrim from experience?

gtrdisplay.jpg

Yeah, mine was like that but not as bad. A polarising film will fix it.

• 3 months later...

ok so mine was a bit more tricky... took me 5hr 30min. I KNOW!

so they sent me the polarized film but the sticky side was on the wrong side so when I put it back together and wired it up all I got was bright pink and yellow I was pissed.

took me forever to find the problem thought it was the tape wire connection not in properly so it gave off funny colours.... but no it was the film so watch out guys the sticky side isn't always right.
anywho here are some before and afters and im glad I did it makes it look a million bucks :D

BTW to fix the issue of the film being around the wrong way I just stuck it to the plastic protector so in theory I just stuck it backwards if you get what I mean ;)

post-94184-0-20697700-1366795631_thumb.jpg

post-94184-0-45445600-1366795643_thumb.jpg

post-94184-0-03624600-1366795653_thumb.jpg

post-94184-0-27886000-1366795667_thumb.jpg

post-94184-0-35603700-1366795677_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This is great news. Was thinking about biting the bullet for a new screen, and now I just ordered the new LCD film instead!

Just wanted to add that you don't have to remove the ashtray and center console panel. You just need to pry off the air con vent below the MFD to expose the two screws. Don't forget to wrap your prying tool or screwdriver with electrical tape as not to scratch up the panels.

This video shows what I just explained and also how to further disassemble the MFD unit:

Also, for those of you still looking for a Sharp LCD screen, JDMautolink.com has them for sale. I am not affiliated with JDMautolink nor have I purchased from them before, but other than getting it from a guy on Yahoo Auctions JP, this seemed like the best option. If your MFD measures "kg/cm2", you need a Sharp screen. If it measures "kPa", you need a Toshiba screen.

Edited by javver

ok so mine was a bit more tricky... took me 5hr 30min. I KNOW!

so they sent me the polarized film but the sticky side was on the wrong side so when I put it back together and wired it up all I got was bright pink and yellow I was pissed.

took me forever to find the problem thought it was the tape wire connection not in properly so it gave off funny colours.... but no it was the film so watch out guys the sticky side isn't always right.

anywho here are some before and afters and im glad I did it makes it look a million bucks :D

BTW to fix the issue of the film being around the wrong way I just stuck it to the plastic protector so in theory I just stuck it backwards if you get what I mean ;)

I noticed you don't have exhaust and intake temp? I'm guessing you don't have the sensors?

If you want the exh and int temp just for the looks, you can hook those two wires up to your climate control's amb temp, then go into diagnostic mode on MFD to pick up the exh and int temps :)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I finally got the job done. The hardest or perhaps most time consuming part was scraping off the glue between the original film and the screen. That part itself took about three hours. The rest was a breeze. Attached is a photo of my results. Turns out I'll be needing a new screen anyways if I want it to look perfect.

img2013052300100.jpg

...or did I do something wrong? The flim is facing the correct side. I tried the other side, and the whole screen is white.

There's only one sticky side on the film.... What was the screen like before you replaced the film?

Also, I'd double check the ribbon cable on and from the screen, making sure you have reinserted it properly.

Hmmm did you get polarised LCD film or just LCD film?.

What he said^ check the ribbon able, and if still didnt work, check the screen protected is on the plastic bit that goes back over the screen as it makes a difference to the colour aswell.. If all that fails ask Jesus. ;)

Btw. The polarised film they sent me had the sticky side on the wrong way so make sure it is on the right way... I know the sticky side is only on one side but check to make sure as mine wasnt :) hope this helps

• 2 months later...

hi, have had this bookmarked for a while. been meaning to give it ago, but im not sure if it would work for mine. just wondering if anybody could tell me weather my screen needs to be replaced, or if i can just go about this film replacement. mine has the big orange patch, i can see the unit working around the edges. and help would be great, before i go and waste my time on this if its not going to help :)

thanks mate, email sent

here are you photos I had to chop them down abit as they were huge photos and couldn't upload them as 2mb limit....

id say order the lcd plastic give it a go and then if the screen is stuffed well then you already have it apart ready to put a new one in.... but I think the new lcd plastic will fix it.... worth a try as it is only 20$

post-94184-0-26879300-1374831737_thumb.gif

post-94184-0-26861900-1374831751_thumb.gif