SAU Community

Rags To Riches R33

Hi everyone thanks for checking out my toy

i bought this 94 r33 gtst of good old ebird about two months ago from newcastle.

it was ok all round with a really straight rust free body it only had a few stops where the paints faided

as for mods it was a stock engine with a few bolt ons

-high flow turbo

-cheap fmic kit

-alloy radiator

-greddy copy plenum

-90mm throttle body that is absolute shit and kept jambing an neally killed me a few times on the way home

-dual stage boost controler

-decent exhaust

-coilpacks unknown brand

ummm

rebuilt box which feels dodgy

and a hd clutch

all for 3600 i thought was cheap :) sweet

got her home and and regoed in my name and soon changed my mind deciding to sell it an none of you silly people want it :D so time to modify

248522_10150203218276547_522441546_7097246_4765348_n.jpg

249399_10150203217676547_522441546_7097241_4969424_n.jpg

259901_10150203220601547_522441546_7097249_6764853_n.jpg

to date not i have sorced the following

new garrett 35/40

6boost manifold

turbosmart 48mm gate

microtech lt12 with full lume

ohlins dualrate coilovers

bosch 044 and surge tank + all lines and reg

880cc injectors

spitfires

2 way

and a spare r33 box because i have a feeling thats going to gearbox heaven with a new twin plate clutch

hopefully it will make a good all rounder im looking at doing drifting and a bit of track so im hoping the turb isnt too big

any comments are great because i dont know much about these things and it would be nice to have an idea what power range il be looking at when i tune it

cheers hixi

neally have all the bits for this project picking up my center and greddy intake tomorrow :D also looking at getting some autometer gauges in the cab (oil pres/oil & Water Temp/air To Fuel) but im wanting to put them in the dash an keeping it looking factory has anyone seen any good ideas

The turbo you have is capable of 350rwkw+

However the motor certainly isn't so a nice safe limit would be 280rwkw. Only issue then is the GT35 is ridiculously laggy for that power. A smaller turbo would come on 400-800rpm sooner (depending on choice) and still make you a nice safe 280rwkw :)

You won't need a fuel reg either if you wanna save some cash.

Gearbox should be perfectly fine however.

Good luck with it

i know what yours saying it wont come on boost till 3500 i was looking at putting cams in it and just seeing how it goes with a tune i honestly dont care if it blows up it will be an excuse to stroke it :D

Well thats a 10k adventure. (and you'll be looking at a lot worse than 3500rpm on the street)

You'd be better off getting a better turbo for the moment, and if the motor fails then upgrade it.

Could be years before it dies as 280rwkw seems to last quite a good many years. Then just swap out turbos later during a full rebuild etc you'd be lucky to spend an extra $1000 which won't even be an 10% of your overall rebuild price.

Also you probably don't need a surge tank. Ensure you get the aircraft grade lines for it otherwise you'll just have a car that stinks of fuel. Or mount the surge externally :)

Nice, it looks alot like my car even has the same strut brace

and 3600 what a bargain.., how much were you trying to sell it for?

Just listen to Ash man he knows his shit.. :thumbsup:

I listened when he said get a 3071 (as he always does) but I even f**ked that up :no:

Or grab kando T67 for 800$ 6boost and 44mm tial wg and have some fun drag racing it till the engine blows..

(this option is more fun)

Maybe I should start a thread called riches to rags now that I know my car is worth about a quarter what i paid for it and a sixth of what ive spent on it :(

064.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

very true arthor

il see how it goes with the setup i have and if its still no good il change it over

6boost is on wastegate is on :thumbsup: so its slowly getting there , greddy intake is on and the other greddy copy is going up for sale

rebuilt box is there ready to go, and direct racing twin plate clutch

hopefully 4 weeks and it will be ready for a tune im going to give it to sam markov so he can pick at it

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

Nice work man my friend has the same turbo setup on his r33 and made 350rwkw on a stock engine 3 years ago............ it's still running! Admitedly it's gone from daily to weekender/track car and if anyone knows what their on about its R31nismoid, especially as it really is only just starting to work within it's efficiency range, but it's still got some mad power. Nice build and look forward to seeing it running your in for a bit of fun thats for sure.

thanks mate , id be silly not to use the turb i have there as its there, if its no good il go a 3076r , im looking into rb28's and rb32's with alot of interest has anyone god any comments on a good stroker setup? it would be nice to have a standard looking car with that sort of gear