SAU Community

Sa "hoon"laws.

Daleo

Link to the full story; http://www.adelaiden...m-1226081669456

THE sale of 68 cars under anti-hoon laws has raised an average of just $564 a vehicle. Court Administration Authority figures obtained by The Advertiser reveal the sale of the 68 forfeited cars under the 2007 Clamping, Impounding and Forfeiture Act has raised a total of $38,389.80 after the agent's commission for handling the sale is deducted.

The laws were introduced to target high-performing, hotted-up vehicles and tackle hoons and repeat dangerous drivers.

Lawyer Paul Simionato from D'angelo Kavanagh - who has represented a number of drivers charged with hoon offences - said the relatively small amount raised serious questions about whether the correct types of cars were being targeted.

"It's just ludicrous," Mr Simionato said.

"This was meant to get high-performing vehicles, but what is it achieving?

"When one looks at the maths, you get $560-odd each for tying up all the resources of the state. The economics are not good."

Family First MLC Robert Brokenshire said it showed that rather than confiscating and selling cars, the government should be focusing on targeting hoon driver's licences.

"The Rann Government made great fanfare about these laws targeting drivers' "prize possessions" but it seems hoon driving is only occurring in bombs that, if sold or crushed, doesn't worry the hoon driver," Mr Brokenshire said.

"The better deterrent is to target hoon drivers' licences rather than crushing their car. The Advertiser understands the forfeiture and sale of expensively modified cars has been complicated as many are partly "owned" by finance companies who have provided loans to their owners.

But Attorney-General John Rau yesterday hit back, saying the Government didn't "seize, crush or sell hoons' cars to make money."

"The Government's only concern is to get dangerous drivers and their vehicles off the road," Mr Rau said.

"Hoons kill and injure people, with incalculable consequences of pain, suffering and loss. In light of this human cost, it is ridiculous to suggest that the return per hoon vehicle is too small," he said.

How interesting; so you're actually clearing the streets of "Hoons" but their cars aren't nice enough? Surely the Govt' was targetting a type of behaviour, not a type of car?

Perhaps that's because there's a difference between Enthusiasts with nice cars that they value, versus a bunch of stupid bogans with shitheaps that give everyone a bad name...

Maybe commonsense will prevail one day.

Edited by Daleo

How interesting; so you're actually clearing the streets of "Hoons" but their cars aren't nice enough? Surely the Govt' was targetting a type of behaviour, not a type of car?

Maybe commonsense will prevail one day.

What's this? You honestly suspect the govt' was interested in doing something pro-active towards road safety, and not just lining their pocket? And now that they aren't raising revenue they're not happy with the scheme...... Shock/horror..... biggrin.gif

What's this? You honestly suspect the govt' was interested in doing something pro-active towards road safety, and not just lining their pocket? And now that they aren't raising revenue they're not happy with the scheme...... Shock/horror..... biggrin.gif

Yeh, I was being a little facetious; I'm sure they'll just change the legislation so they can confiscate the nearest "Performance" car whenever they see a dunger Laser doing reverse donuts in a park...:rolleyes:

I don't think you can really get a great picture of it without being here... I think Mike Rann watches A Current Affair and Today Tonight, sees what issues he can overblow today, and pounce on them.

Some of this 'hoon driving' could be solved by building an island in the middle of some roads so they're not so donut-friendly. Or building a drag strip where the Commodore Crowd can take out their frustrations. That seems to be the biggest issue; drag races.

To solve this, instead of going out to accident blackspots or well known 'hoon' hangouts, they go to where they know they can catch 50+ people doing 5k over the limit and make their quotas. It's insane.

The Rann government got 48% of the vote at the last election, and I'm pretty sure that's on a two party preferred basis, yet they still won based on seats. So he continues.

We can only hope this gets overturned like his big crack down on bikies, which has now been overturned in the federal court and Mike just looks like a total dick.

I think one of the letters to the editor said it best this week in the Adelaide Advertiser... he's so hell bent on creating a legacy that he doesn't care how much we'll have to pay for it! :domokun: