SAU Community

Noob Jump Starting Question

Ok, my 370gt just arrived and of course the Battery is completely dead. Probably has been for some time now as the car is actually unlocked and now I dont know how to lock it again.

My question is, should I just fork out for a new battery or can I use this thing that I have lieing around to jump start it.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Best-Buy-Jumpstart-600Amp.aspx?pid=213237#Description

Basically I am worried about it frying something ie. Computer and even if there is only a tiny chance of it doing so I would rather pay the money for a new battery.

I bought it for my old bike but havent used it for at least 1 year so I am charging it as I type. Mine isnt EXACTLY the same as the picture (mines red) but it IS the 600 Amp one, which I think may not be strong enough to kick the engine over anyway.

That unit won't even close to turn over your car (well may turn it over, but is unlikely to start it).

Don't be cheap - you just bought a $40k car - buy a new Odyssey or similar sealed battery for it. Or even better spoil your Skyline and go AGM.

Those things do work (assuming its decent)

I used one to jump start my old VL when it went flat

HOWEVER

they are good for one.... Maybe 2 attempts at starting only. They drain rediculously quick so if your cars been sitting for a while and needs to crank for a bit to sort itself out then it might not work

Have to agree with what 'Nightcrawler' but. May as well buy a new battery for it anyway, doubt the one in it now is going to be any good if its been sitting that long. But worth a try if you can jump start it and give it a charge it might still work.

Thanks for the replys.

Basically confirms what I was thinking. Any other brand suggestions welcome.......Where in Perth sells good quality batteries, I have a feeling Supercheap etc only sell basic stuff.

Edited by Alkatraz