SAU Community

Engine Clutch Fan - Where To Get A New Clutch?

_Wing_

I've got an R33 GTS-25T engine fan but the clutch hub keeps seizing on me. I've swapped it out for another one and after a few months the thing dies and locks again so the fan is on full blast 24/7.......... sounds like an old commo lol. I'm sick of changing it and wanted to get a new one from ni$an but they want ~$500. No thanks! Does anybody know where I can get an aftermarket replacement? It looks like this:

tfc142.jpgpost-46362-12797852719173_thumb.jpg

most people just keep changing them for second hand ones that are going cheap. so keep running wiht that until you get a good one unless u want to lash the $

otherwise if you arent too bad with wiring you can set-up a thermofan. Free's up kw and responsiveness. prob about 100-200 for a brand new thermofan setup + temp swtich etc

I did it, i love it. It runs cooler too...

• 5 weeks later...

I bought one for my rb20det locally at auto parts store. Didnt cost that much from memory, like $100? It is the same as one off a local delivered car, like the maxima or vl one or something as well...

Are you able to be more specific on which local delivered car has the same clutch assembley?

Also are the clutch assembleys the same throughout rb20,25,26,30? The clutch in my 32gtr siezed this arvo and not sure if the local bursons will have anything if i ask for anything to do with gtr or rb26.

It only took about a month of going back and forth a million times to various places to finally get one that fits. None of them were in stock so you would have to go in, order it, pay a deposit, and then go back to get it, find out it doesn't fit, return it, get a refund and try again. Don't forget all the times of taking the fan off to do the install and then finding out it's the wrong one.

I ended up trying out 4 different fan clutches, all different manufacturers, all in different shops, all specifying they fit Skyline R33 GTS-25T / RB25DET / 2.5L / TURBO. Prices were around $100 but it doesn't matter because it turns out that the one that fits is DAVIS CRAIG for around $200. Save your headaches and a million trips and get it.

Anyways here's how the rest of them didn't fit - the holes wouldn't line up with the bolts, all were much worse than this pic in that the bolt centre's would be in line with the edge of the flange, so you couldn't even enlarge the hole to make it fit:

post-12866-0-66721500-1318423169_thumb.jpg

And as you can expect, this is what the Davis Craig one looks like - lining up perfectly:

post-12866-0-61111800-1318423208_thumb.jpg

I think it needs some breaking in because when I head off for work on cold starts the fan is on full blast, but after a little while it loosens up and then it's fine. Good luck with your fan clutches and hope that they don't seize on you :)

Edited by _Wing_

It only took about a month of going back and forth a million times to various places to finally get one that fits. None of them were in stock so you would have to go in, order it, pay a deposit, and then go back to get it, find out it doesn't fit, return it, get a refund and try again. Don't forget all the times of taking the fan off to do the install and then finding out it's the wrong one.

I ended up trying out 4 different fan clutches, all different manufacturers, all in different shops, all specifying they fit Skyline R33 GTS-25T / RB25DET / 2.5L / TURBO. Prices were around $100 but it doesn't matter because it turns out that the one that fits is DAVIS CRAIG for around $200. Save your headaches and a million trips and get it.

So it was just a Davis Craig viscous clutch for a r33? Anymore details on product code/number?

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Fella's got the same issue. Except with an R33 GTR. Got a hold of davies craig and they have no idea for RB26DETT. The closest I got was Just Jap in Sydney had new ones but only for R32 GTR. I have lined up a 2nd hand replacement but would rather not have to look for one again in 6 months if it lets go also. Any hot tips?

Cheers.