SAU Community

Getting Cold Feet About Selling The V

fcruz3r

as topic states, I've had my car advertised for sale for about 3 weeks now and have a somewhat serious buyer who's keen, pending a mechanical inspection this friday.

Reason I'm selling is coz i want to get an Evo X, don't even ask me to explain why.. ..im still trying to figure that one out, but to me the evo is similar to owning a r34gtr....u just have to get it out of ur system and move on in life (sounds pretty pathetic to most, but those who are in the same frame of mind will understand)

anyway i test drove 2 today....first one was a 2008 demo with 7k ...engine felt tinny and harsh like it was on solid steel mounts, slight turbo lag and very linear turbo push. very dissappointing.

2nd was 2009 demo with 17k, didn't even bother driving out of the car yard....idle was erratic and jumped between 800 - 1200 rpm ...dealer tried to convince me that these cars were seldom driven and would get better with regular driving ???

does anyone have experience with these cars? are they reliable and have I just been unlucky to have tested the only 2 duds in Perth??

the V35 despite being an older car, is much more refined and 100% better build quality imho.

sigh*** if only the 2008 hatch sti's weren't as ugly.

Evos are just crap. If you want a car to take to the track and get awesome times, then buy an Evo (if you don't mind being called a big girl's blouse by every full blooded male who sees you in it). If you want a car you will enjoy driving and have people respect you, then keep the V :D

I too am COMPLETELY underwhelmed by Evos. A mate rocked up to my place with a 300km old Evo 9 a few years back to show off. I took it for a 10 minute blast and was so bored driving it I nearly fell asleep. And they look so crap imho.

Get the 34gtr over an evo, or be prepared to spend big dollars to get the evo up to par, but believe me, an evo is fun once modded, but they are different cars, evo - track orientated, v35 - street sports/luxury orientated, they will never drive the same.

Any track hack will drive like poo, until it hits the track that is.

as topic states, I've had my car advertised for sale for about 3 weeks now and have a somewhat serious buyer who's keen, pending a mechanical inspection this friday.

Reason I'm selling is coz i want to get an Evo X, don't even ask me to explain why.. ..im still trying to figure that one out, but to me the evo is similar to owning a r34gtr....u just have to get it out of ur system and move on in life (sounds pretty pathetic to most, but those who are in the same frame of mind will understand)

anyway i test drove 2 today....first one was a 2008 demo with 7k ...engine felt tinny and harsh like it was on solid steel mounts, slight turbo lag and very linear turbo push. very dissappointing.

2nd was 2009 demo with 17k, didn't even bother driving out of the car yard....idle was erratic and jumped between 800 - 1200 rpm ...dealer tried to convince me that these cars were seldom driven and would get better with regular driving ???

does anyone have experience with these cars? are they reliable and have I just been unlucky to have tested the only 2 duds in Perth??

the V35 despite being an older car, is much more refined and 100% better build quality imho.

sigh*** if only the 2008 hatch sti's weren't as ugly.

Hey Roy,

So I take it that your V35 coupe will be sold after mechanical inspection go ok? I can tell you that you will miss it. :P

For me, Evo are cars that have better use on the track because they are built mainly for that purpose. Being a four door sedan might have advantage over a coupe. But I don't think you can compare an Evo with V35 coupe.

I say, go for an Evo if you want to have a car that you can take it to the track anytime you want, maybe abit more practical than V35 coupe but don't mind about the interior quality.

Stay with V35 coupe (or even upgrade to V36 coupe) if you enjoy a quality cruise factor and don't mind having a coupe in your family.

Good luck either way. Remember, it's you that have to drive and live with it. :)

Edited by VNS 24

I've taken it to the track twice now and I am not one bit disappointed on its performance (for an NA that 1.5 tonne) and reliabilty.

I've been meaning to put up a build of my V. As a standard car in 2010, the best I could do with it was 1:16 at Wakefield on good street tyres. in 2011, after a set of coil overs + front and rear sway bars, I managed a 1:13 on the same but a year older tyres :D ... give me semi slicks and Im confident i'd shave off another 2 seconds off that time. And for this reason I havent given up on my V35 as MY track car. Not neccesarily for everyone.

3 of the top 5 cars at the World Time Attack in EC were Evos so yes I am a fan of the Evo perfomance. But I honestly wouldnt look twice at an Evo. I still catch people staring at my V as they walk passed.

I've never driven a Evo but I've known 2 people who have sold their Evo because it was too easy to drive... that it did all the work for you. lol I thought that was a good thing.

If you miss or crave the Turbo kick in your back, you should look into an FI system for the VQ. Potential 250rwkw off the shelf so I've read.

SO DONT SELL IT !!

LOL guess i expected the response from skyline owners and i do agree with all your comments. Im probably making a stupid move considering i would prob never track the car. Would love a r34 gtr but cant get secured finance for it. Maybe someday in future when i've saved enough spare change.

The evo checks most of the right boxes being 4 dr and auto so potentially if the family car is in a wshop the missues could still drive it

Am more concerned about the quality and reliability issues

LOL guess i expected the response from skyline owners and i do agree with all your comments. Im probably making a stupid move considering i would prob never track the car. Would love a r34 gtr but cant get secured finance for it. Maybe someday in future when i've saved enough spare change.

The evo checks most of the right boxes being 4 dr and auto so potentially if the family car is in a wshop the missues could still drive it

Am more concerned about the quality and reliability issues

Not sure what your budget is, but a 2007 V36 sedan may be in your budget, may be worth considering? Good power, reasonably rare, good quality finish, reliable... the missus will love it.

Not sure what your budget is, but a 2007 V36 sedan may be in your budget, may be worth considering? Good power, reasonably rare, good quality finish, reliable... the missus will love it.

This could be your perfect upgrade, Roy. Great quality car, wife's happy and will be keeping the V-series going!

Happy wife = Happy life :)

V series sedans hv never really appealed to me. Nice cars and good vip potential, but just not my liking. Will test drive a 330 bimmer and sti too for comparison

V36 sedan is a massive leap forward from the V35 sedans IMHO.

If I had the extra coin definately the V36 would be at the top of my list (as an "overall" car) for value, practicality, performance and looks. One of the most beautiful Nissan sedans.

Did you sell it? I would have called you by now but I need to sell my car first!

BTW If your willing to fly over east, you can get a V36 coupe for under 40k with less then 10k on the clock..

WA is a rip off..

Did you sell it? I would have called you by now but I need to sell my car first!

BTW If your willing to fly over east, you can get a V36 coupe for under 40k with less then 10k on the clock..

WA is a rip off..

the dude had it checked by Cypher on Friday and paid a deposit. So just waiting on his personal cheque to clear....pretty much sold really.

I've narrowed my choices down to

2008/09 Evo X - Pros: Demo with 5+5yr manufacturer warranty/tc-sst wife friendly/good handling & power

Cons: cheap interior/radio & air con controls carry over from early 2000 era/unknown maintenance costs

2008 Subaru Sti Spec R - Pros: more power than Evo X/Nice Interior/Good resale value

Cons: looks like a mazda 3/higher insurance/wife doesn't like the manual/2nd hand and no warranty/ did i mention the looks?

2009 Golf R32 Dsg - Pros: Nice rimtuck/hellaflush potential, decent power, best interior of the 3

Cons: still a golf/ golf gti seems to handle better and more responsive?? (based on test drives)/ 2nd hand with higher km's than the other 2 above/ looks a bit ghey

I say get a R32, interior is an important factor to me, your the one thats going to be sitting in it most of the time, so why not get something nicer, and i reckon R32 looks beast! :) Oh and how much you sell your v35 for? If you dont mind telling :)