SAU Community

Front end problem

Need some help

Car is pulling to the left like a mofo.....

Ive replaced just about everything in the front end with brand new goodies, lowered 30mm on whiteline springs, still sucks the wang.

Excuse the shortness of this post because ive just done it 3 times and had it not work to go back and my whole post is gone!! :P lol grrr

Replaced a suspect bent strut which sorted camber out a little but im still running 0 degrees left, -1 degrees right.

originally was +1 left, -1 right.

Getting close but still crap, drives alot better but turn in to right sucks, and constantly pulls left....

Any ideas what i should be looking for.. Could cross member have moved?

Anywhere you guys could recommend in Melbourne to go and see. Need someone that is interested in trying to sort out this problem, none of this align it and send me on my way cause they cant be stuffed using their brains :D

Thanks guys, any more info i can supply.

Cheers

:ufo:

Uneven wear in tyres can cause it to pull quite a bit - did it in my old car... my car pulled to one side, when i got new tyres it disapeared even without a wheel alignment...

GT Suspension - Mount Alexander Rd.

They'll charge you... but they'll fix it at least

HOLD THAT STATEMENT!

They did repair my struts 12 months ago... but tonight the same noise i had is back again with a vengance. My strut is rattling around again.

Pending what they say about thier 'quality workmanship' depends if i'll reccommend them.

If it is indeed what i think it is, and they dont repair it for free... I aint gonna be happy. This will serve as a good test

Hi SyP40n, first thing I would do is measure the wheelbase with the wheels straight ahead, down the LHS and then down the RHS, and compare them. This will tell you if you have a misalignment problem, which can be rear subframe or front subframe. Corrections are available for both.

You haven't mention the caster, this is the most common cause of pulling. Less positive caster on the left makes the car pull to the left. This happens a lot, as most drag is on the left, more pot holes, drop of the road edge, gutters to hit etc. Again corrections are available, adj caster bushes for one.

As the blind elk said, Traction Tyres is also the place I would go in Melbourne.

Hope that helps

Woah hehe thanks so much guys for the inputs. Ive been interstate for the last week which is why i havent replied.

Ill go through all these suggestions in the next week and hopefully i can find the problem.

Cheers again all :)

Hey just thought Id let anyone that is interested know how i went down at Traction Tyres.

Wrapped with their service, they seemed genuinely interested in sorting out my problem, so they threw it on their aligner.

Toe was shagged for a start (probably me and my gutter habit lol), camber was spot on. Replaced strut obviously fixed this right up.

Castor was beautiful, slightly more positive castor on left side which is good for cambers on roads etc.

Needless to say there wasnt a whole lot wrong but still pulled to left.

So Hayden at Traction Tyres ripped off the front wheel and swapped the tyres over from left to right, and what do you know, drives in almost a perfect straight line! :)

Steering rack has a little bit of play so thats next on the cards, but Im wrapped. Car is driving just like it should be after the amount of dollars Ive put into the front end.

Definately reccommend Traction Tyres to anyone else who has a problem they cant rectify.

Was going to say Binding left brake.....but u fixed already.....might be something to look at next time some one has a similar problem....

R31NISMOID: its probably the locking nut that holds the strut insert into the casing.........my C210 does it occasionally...dunno why tho....i just tighten it up again and keep on truckin.....

Hey anything is possible with a 15 year old car. Although brakes were pretty much overhauled 12 months ago and have been fantastic, rear brakes are questionable but fronts are fine.

Definately a problem that can cause pulling to the left.

blind_elk and ferni were right on the money with my problem! :D