SAU Community

r32 steering rack

Hey guys, ive just been told that the steering rack mounts or somethin to that discprition are almost worn out causing a flat spot in my steering in my r32 gtst.

Has anyone had this happen to them, if so, how much to fix?(or estimates of those in the know.)

Also i have been recommended by friend of myn to try and source a r34 gtt rack, as the steering will be much more direct, has anyone heard this. also does anyone know were to source one of these, and the estimate of cost?

thanks

hi I've had the whole steering rack and all tie rods replaced in my car and its not that much of a hassle. Can you be a bit more specific as to what is worn?

Personally i've changed both my tie-rods in my '93 32GTS-T as I wanted everything to be absolutely perfect. If you're getting vague handling then its most likely worn upper control arm bushe's, tie rods etc. Nothing unusual for a used car.

I doubt a 34 GTT rack would fit but you never know......

my steering rack bushes were shot a while ago (i assume thats what you're talking about?), bought new ones from Nissan. cost me around $60-70 I think for both, didn't take long to fit.

thanks guys.. well sorry i was vague with description, the guys aligning my wheels the other week were vague too..

all i know now is, when i went to get rego check, it passed, and he tryed moving the bushes etc near the wheels and they were all fine, so my mechanic mate(cant do pink slips etc) said its the steering rack bushes(the whoel rack shoudl be replaced)...

he seems to think that it would be better fitting an r34 for better steering, all i wanted to know about these things are will that require same power steering pump pressure as r32, and will it fit :s thanks ofr your help tho guys much appreciated.

hayai32 - was that a brand new rack? or 2nd hand sourced from wreckers...

ok few answers as i was into a mechanics today...

basically r34 rack will not fit.. totally different (damn he had to tell me this, as now my DIY buddy has the idea that we should just change cross member in my car etc so i may fit the r34 rack :S )

anyway.. 2 wreckers wanted $350, and $400 for the rack, another place said dont have one but $130 for it hwen they get one.. they said should be one on a half cut coming next week, so i put my name down for that. egg silent. thanks for your help

i have a r32 gtst hicas rack ill sell for $100 plus postage... im in qld..... i cant offer a warranty cause it is from a halfcut but id say it should fine only done 68k in the half cut....thats another cheaper option for you anyway..... depending where u are freight shouldnt be too much by busfreight....

• 3 weeks later...

well. after all that we went to change the racks(well not me, but a mate) and he found that 3 mounting bolts were missing and another was very loose, and also one of the bushes was totally rooted...

so those things fixed, means steering is fixed haha, ohwell classic scenario..