SAU Community

V36 - Another Tv Tuner Question

Did anyone else have this installed in their V36? It looks like my car has an extra TV tuner already piggy backed of the factory one. Its a panasonic tu-dtv30-2. I even got the instruction manual and remote for it (all in japanese).

I know theres fat chance of it working in Australia but thought id ask before i replace it with an Asuka unit.

If theres a slight chance, i will find a Japanese person and get them to try and auto-tune it for me and see if it picks anything up. (i tried but the menu's are all in jap and cant figure it out)

Also, if i do get an Asuka (which is highly likely). Will the video work while car is in motion or do i need a cable or something?

thanks

post-76980-0-51906300-1327055159_thumb.jpg

post-76980-0-19621000-1327055175_thumb.jpg

Did anyone else have this installed in their V36? It looks like my car has an extra TV tuner already piggy backed of the factory one. Its a panasonic tu-dtv30-2. I even got the instruction manual and remote for it (all in japanese).

I know theres fat chance of it working in Australia but thought id ask before i replace it with an Asuka unit.

If theres a slight chance, i will find a Japanese person and get them to try and auto-tune it for me and see if it picks anything up. (i tried but the menu's are all in jap and cant figure it out)

Also, if i do get an Asuka (which is highly likely). Will the video work while car is in motion or do i need a cable or something?

thanks

I've got some Panasonic device installed in my v36 but I dont know what it is yet. I've got two thin black devices on both sides of my windshield and a sensor installed on my console obviously for some sort of remote that I dont have. i googled the part number of of those devices and it came up with some Jap page and appeared to be talking about digital antennas.

Its most likely NTSC formart anyway so you wont be able just to "tune" it to PAL. There will be some sort of conversion needed.

AFAIK, the v36 comes with a analogue tuner, which is now useless in japan, because they've switched off all the analogue transmissions and have gone to digital. The previous owner must've installed a digital tuner. Problem is, the tuners aren't compatible in Australia. AU uses DVB-T and japan uses isdb-t. You'll have to replace the whole unit to get it to work

I've got some Panasonic device installed in my v36 but I dont know what it is yet. I've got two thin black devices on both sides of my windshield and a sensor installed on my console obviously for some sort of remote that I dont have. i googled the part number of of those devices and it came up with some Jap page and appeared to be talking about digital antennas.

Its most likely NTSC formart anyway so you wont be able just to "tune" it to PAL. There will be some sort of conversion needed.

Sounds like you may have the same unit as mine. Maybe nissan dealers in Japan offered customers a replacement digital tuner after the analogue stations were switched off.

Anyway sounds like its not going to work so im going to get new tuner soon. At least it should be a pretty easy install since some of the wiring is ready to go.

Yeah I thought thats where it would be but coulnt see anything. I dont know where else they would hide this thing.

Maybe its on either side of the spare wheel under the plastic.. Or its possible they took it out?

Does your I/R remote sensor have a little red power light on it when the cars on?

Maybe its on either side of the spare wheel under the plastic.. Or its possible they took it out?

Does your I/R remote sensor have a little red power light on it when the cars on?

Yes red light is on, Im going to check again

Man I can't find this thing, checked under the plastics in the boot, all I found was a beige coloured box that had a Nissan logo on it but I dont think it has anything to do with the Panasonic tuner. Not in the glove box. Where else could they put it?

1327388805[/url]' post='6202358']

Man I can't find this thing, checked under the plastics in the boot, all I found was a beige coloured box that had a Nissan logo on it but I dont think it has anything to do with the Panasonic tuner. Not in the glove box. Where else could they put it?

Follow the cable trail from the antennas..

I ordered the zylux thing today from jb Hifi.. Got it for $430 in the end. Found out there cost price is $349 so if you feel like bargaining you could probably pick it up for under 400..

Picked it up today. They sent me the wrong one! Its the non high definition model. :(

Pissed off because i cant be bothered waiting another week for them to send the right one. Also the price is apparently the same so cant get a credit for the difference and keep the SD one.

I'll probably just install this one. Just means i wont have the HD channels.

I ended up installing the new tuner yesterday. Took a few pics along the way.

Img_3181.jpg

used the same mounting bracket from the panasonic.

Img_3182.jpg

Img_3185.jpg

Img_3186.jpg

Img_3189.jpg

Antennas are mounted at the top of the back and front windows just under the roof lining so you cant even see them.

Img_3191.jpg

Img_3190.jpg

Everything works great, even "drive in motion" works. All i did was gound the handbrake cable. I thought it was going to be a quick install because I could use the existing cables from the old tuner. It still took a good 4 hours by the time i removed the old antennas and everything. My back is not a happy chappy!

Edited by projectx

I ended up installing the new tuner yesterday. Took a few pics along the way.

Img_3190.jpg

Everything works great, even "drive in motion" works. All i did was gound the handbrake cable. I thought it was going to be a quick install because I could use the existing cables from the old tuner. It still took a good 4 hours by the time i removed the old antennas and everything. My back is not a happy chappy!

so good to see things in english.

So its operated from the remote, which makes the steering wheel and dash controls obsolete?

so good to see things in english.

So its operated from the remote, which makes the steering wheel and dash controls obsolete?

Yep, but i only plan to use the tuner for TV or movies. You can still use the volume up/down on the steering wheel, but to change channels you will need the remote.

For music i want to use the music box anyway.

Would be cool to get the touch screen working for the tuner! Im guessing thats either not easy or impossible. anyone know?

Edited by projectx