SAU Community

Seat Belts

Roy

I have, they are the ones telling me 2-3 week for making them up.

Tempted to grab some out of a 180SX from someone wrecking. Not sure if the engineer will be happy with that and waiting to get his feedback. My understanding is that for a pre 89 car they only have to comply with ADR, not be new

Thank is correct that the seat belts must be ADR approved and be in good condition, not necessarily new .. however they need to be the correct belts for the exact car, you can't just grab some from another model car as they will not work correctly with the specific angles of installation, etc. so the engineer should never approve it if they aren't correct for your car.

Klippan are the manufacturers so your only option would be to wait for them to have some ready for you, or call around auto parts stores and wreckers all over Australia (and New Zealand where Sierra's were semi-common) to see if you can find someone with some sitting around already.

Yeh, I have measured them up and the retractor are all vertical mount on the side of the car and perpendicular. So they have to be mounted in the vertical pointing straight up with no angle in the belt. The sash guide is directly above the retractor. Hopefully a 180SX or something is similar. Belts need to be 2.35m

Still if the belts fitted are not exactly correct then the engineer must reject them, and they shouldn't just check that they work but should check part numbers to make sure they are correct for the car. Once the car is passed the engineer and is registered then you can do whatever you like and if you have belts fitted that are close to original specs then that is up to you, however I have seen belts fitted that were just a few degrees out which failed to lock when needed so personally I would just wait a couple of weeks for the right parts and in the meantime call around for second hand ones.