SAU Community

Supposedly R32 High Flowed Turbo Questions (Pics Inside)

jakez88

R32/33/34 hitachi turbos are actually easy physically to Hi flow because the compressor housing (not necessarily the comp wheel , fit on a Garrett t3 comp housing backplate - the aluminium thing with the radial ribs on it .

Hitachi Turbine housings with a bit of machining fit the Garrett T3 bearing housing as well .

So what I think you have is a Garrett water cooled bearing housing or center section if you like with who knows what turbine and compressor wheel either side . Those Garrett center sections are like a Mecano set in that a huge range of turbines and compressor wheels can be used with them . The downside is that many are thrown together with innappropriate wheels purely because - yep you can . Its the reason why so many bastard hybrid turbos don't work very well , the builder or user often doesn't know what works well wheel wise and or housing wise for a given application .

I find Hi flow turbos with std housings can work , at times , with slightly larger wheels with fewer blades but thats a very broad generalisation . Larger compressors often want port shrouded housings because higher flowing wheels want to feed more air than the engine can swallow so you get surge .

BTW your compressor housing looks like R32 GTST , the RB25 and VG30 BB ones are larger and have Nissan Motor cast into them in bold letters .

Cheers A .

ah thanks for that mate that was helpful.

for the price i bought it at, i'm very happy and i can't get it on to see what it can do...although i really need help with getting fittings and lines for it. is there a place where i can just bring it to and get everything needed made up for it or else supplied for it?

needs to bve in melbourne and western suburbs would be really good. have in mind that i'm not turbo technically minded and don't know anything about fittings and lines so i would want the place i'm going to know what they are looking at, know about rb20dets and know what i need..

any recommendations?

Goto: Norden hydraulic at 61 Bennet st, Dandenong.

For oil:

Half meter long Dash 4 braided hose with one straight hose trail and a 90 degrees hose tail.

fitting for turbo Garrett should be a 7/16 SAE (or unf)

fitting for engine: M12x1.25

Water lines:

3x M18x 1.5 speed flow adaptors for engine and turbo.

Water in:

Dash 6 hose half meter long hose with straight and a 90 degrees hose tail.

Water out:

Dash 6 hose 1 meter long with crimped fitting on one end and 90 degrees hose tail on another.

I'm pretty sure above is all correct, How ever measure it up on the car and bring the turbo to them and make sure. I'm not responsible if I've quoted incorrect sizes.

Using aftermarket fittings can work but I prefer to use second hand OE fittings particularly with water lines . Its a case of finding banjos with enough length of steel pipe to get far enough away from the turbos heat to connect to existing engine side pipes with good quality EFI hose and fuel line clamps . Cut splice clamp done . I always found aftermarket to be bulky and looking out of place - and EXPENSIVE .

When I was using T3 based hybrids on FJ20's I used the existing oil fittings and had threaded unions (weld on -4 AN ones from memory)brazed onto the oil lines tube and used braided lines from there .

All this screwing around is a PITA and at times costly , you waive all this if you opt to use units like GCGs Hi flows because packaging wise its a std turbocharger . Personally I would have looked at simpler alternatives like say an RB25s Hitachi turbo or possibly a good used 2530 or GTRS kit .

guys i need this question answered quickly!

as i said on the core of the turbo it had what seemed like a oil drain input for the pipe to go on on each side.

the picture below is of the turbo already on the manifold which is on the block. as you can see the input facing upwards. we are installing it now but can someone tell me what its for and give me an idea on what fittings should be put onto it?

thanks for anyone with information!

201203101348381.jpg

bubba, i'm sorry mate what do you mean by centre hole tapped?...i'm not really familiar with turbo lol.

Ad's the oil drain back to the sump is on the opposite side of this input with the oil drain pipe connecting to it already.

anyone please shed some light on this for me...just remember i'm a noob with this stuff...still learning :|

It would be hard to find an old style oil feed flange fittingl like that. The only thing I can suggest is to have a plate made up that bolts onto it and have a tapped hole for a threaded fitting.

bubba, i'm sorry mate what do you mean by centre hole tapped?...i'm not really familiar with turbo lol.

Ad's the oil drain back to the sump is on the opposite side of this input with the oil drain pipe connecting to it already.

anyone please shed some light on this for me...just remember i'm a noob with this stuff...still learning :|

Of the 3 holes on the top, does the one in the middle look like you can screw something into it? (i.e. is there a thread)

The CHRA on my highflows look similar but my turbo builder tapped the centre hole to take a 1/4 BSP I think it was.

It would be hard to find an old style oil feed flange fittingl like that. The only thing I can suggest is to have a plate made up that bolts onto it and have a tapped hole for a threaded fitting.

If it's not tapped, then see above :thumbsup: