SAU Community

R33 GTR Series 1-3 differences?

I have already searched, and have not found the info i am looking for.

People seem to accept that a 1996 GTR is a 'series 2', all of them have dual air bags, as opposed to 1995 models..

But the thing that is confusing is that some have HID lights and some dont. I have also been told that you could just option up a 1995 to have dual airbags..

So basically what are the differences between 1996 till 1998, in terms of standard equipment, and options. (HID lights maybe an option?)

Build dates for actual series 1 series 2 etc would be helpful on top of the specs.

Ps. i dont want to know the difference between a Vspec and non Vspec, know it already.

CHANGES that i know of :

1995 Series 1 - 1996 Series 1 are the same but the 1996 Series 1 have the grey/rubberish bumper and come with a CD PLAYER ( 1996 s1) . both have 1 airbag.

1996 S2 , Comes with HID lights and differnt lip. twin airbags.

1997 S2 , comes with intercooler vents .

1997 S3 , updated Gbox syncro and comes with red stichting and also has raised lip.

1998 was same as 1997s3.

Hey, thanks for the help but i need definite answers, and i dont think yours add up, as today i saw a 1996 with twin airbags, and no HID lights.

Also i have seen a 1996 with intercooler vents(the holes in the bumper right..)

definite answers would be good, the results of speculation is what i already have :cheers:

Series 1 from 16th jan 95 to 22nd jan 96

Series 2 from 22nd jan 96 to 3rd feb 97

Series 3 from 3rd feb 97 to dec 98

Series 2 only difference was sportier steering wheel dual srs airbags and the center console had slight changes

Series 3 the body was strenghtened with rear floor stays reinforced brake pedal brakets and reinforced rear suspension members.

Headlights were replaced with H.I.D. xenons and a larger front lip spoiler with the air intakes on the front bumber and a rear fog light, also as said interior got red stitching on seats and steering wheel also stronger syncros in the gearbox. might be more but thats the main things as for the 1996 with the intercooler vents people update their cars with the later model parts

PM sent to LaL, this sounds like what i am after, please contact me ASAP..

Ferni, yeah i have noticed plenty of earlier r33 GTRs with later front bars etc...

its not the easy to find a completely original import :(