SAU Community

Cross Country... Advice

NickM91

Cheers guys, will get the belts checked out, replace any that look a bit suss, and keep the old ones as spares just in-case. Will also have a look at that bleed valve. What's one of them worth to replace?

Also noticed that the rolling diameter of my spare is slightly larger than my current wheels, one of my engineering mates assured me it'd be fine for an emergency drive to the nearest servo/mechanic to get a tyre repaired/replaced likened it to driving around a slight corner while going straight if that makes sense. Cause the body to sit slightly off etc. Only querying as I've read about people having issues with different rolling diameters on front vs rear etc causing shuddering and the like in the 4wd system.

Tools are sorted.

Was thinking a bonnet/bumper cover or some sort, but then realised mine is already stonechipped to the sh*t so not a lot of point :closedeyes:

Will also have a look at that bleed valve. What's one of them worth to replace?

Normally I sell them in a block cooling kit, but I have a spare s/h one here without the extra hose in the bottom if you simply want to replace the stock bleeder. (or keep this one as a 'just in case')

Chuck the new fan on, that's only 15 mins work.

I'd leave the cooler; unless you have a couple of days free prior to leaving, just in case there's any hiccups.

Cheers Scotty, I'll have a look at mine over the weekend with footo when we fit my FMIC ;) found out today I might not be in such a rush off, still in the next 2-3 weeks though, hurry up and wait.....

• 3 weeks later...

Made it! Car needs a good wash, the under bumper protector tried its damndest to come off, nothing some cable ties and duck tape couldn't fix, the air bag light decided to come on about 1000km out from Sydney, and i think I may need a new BOV after getting made dose pipe/turbo flutter sounds when cruising up hills at a steady 70-80km/h.

ahh this is perfect - were planning a drive at the start of October in my series 1 stagea from Melbourne to Caloundra music festival, about 2000km and was wondering what things to be taking with me

ironing out all the kinks over the next few months will be key and dropping down the fuel consuption, im getting around 14 - 15 per 100k so be nice to get that down to 12 or so to save some serious coins :)

Yeah not sure what fuel will be like along that route, but I did pay something in the order of $2.20 a litre along the nullabor so even getting it down just 1 or 2L/hundred k will eventually add up. My car managed to get economy below 10. I was extremely surprised and got 9.6L/100km for at least 2 legs of the trip. Probably averaged in the low 10's though.