SAU Community

Importing To Perth, Wa

ッ.jp

Hey guys,

I am looking at buying my first car, and I 270% would like a Skyline R33/34. I have had a look at a few sites such as carsales and gumtree but I wonder if it would be cheaper to import the car from Japan?

Since this is my first car I don't have serious cash to flash, around 8-9 grand, so would it be worth it spending that on an import instead?

Having a quick gander on some sites for imports shows that they are around 2-3 grand for models which are averaging 8-10k over here and with the Japanese tendency for take care of their stuff like it was a part of their body I would have to be very unlucky to get a rebirth or poorly treated vehicle.

Is this is a good option? Even if it costs the same it should be better, right? Given the previous life of the car in Japan, one would assume.

Thanks for any help,

ッ.jp

EDIT:

Stuff like this is just blowing my mind:

http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan%20car/nissan/skyline+coupe/9596588/

http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan%20car/nissan/skyline+coupe/9477135/

Turbos, kits, low mileage, Japanese treatment.

Unless it costs 4 grand to import a car and get it on the road how can I go wrong? Maybe I am just overly excited by this - but I seriously want to hear some opinions on this :D

Edited by ッ.jp

lol

search

I am, but I always ask as a backup resource.

I have seen quotes from people stating that importing and buying the car amounting to around 5k-6k but servicing and getting it on the road added another 4k to that, amounting to around 10k.

I have also seen quotes about costs lower than that, so I want to know what other people experienced so I can gauge if it is worth importing one or taking a risk and buying locally.

Edited by ッ.jp

http://www.skylinesa...h-does-it-cost/

http://www.skylinesa...porting-journey

I am, but I always ask as a backup resource.

I have seen quotes from people stating that importing and buying the car amounting to around 5k-6k but servicing and getting it on the road added another 4k to that, amounting to around 10k.

I have also seen quotes about costs lower than that, so I want to know what other people experienced so I can gauge if it is worth importing one or taking a risk and buying locally.

oh come on...

Edited by 10 4

oh come on...

Here's an example of the price breakdown:

I already checked that thread before I posted this. Is that data solid, from the articles I have read they state costs vary hence why I am posting this. I want MORE INFORMATION on what it cost for people to import.

I will say - yes.

You will get a better car through importation. Why? Because if you're from Perth, look at your typical R33 / R34 owner.

Tight V neck tshirt with a big number on the front of it. Muay Thai training every Tuesday n thursday night, miniature boxing gloves hanging from the mirror to let other patrons know that you do MMA..

They're not "car" enthusiasts.

Japanese r33 owner however (what's left of them) are interested and treat them as hobbies,

Any car that you can see is worthy of import from Japan... Is going to be better than Your average gumtree car.

So in that regard - yeah it's better to import.

That said, import is a lot more expensive. But I think its worth it because I'm a snob.

Importing is an enthusiast game... Not a poor persons game.

I'd also like to add... You'd have to be a massive retard to import an R33 / R34 with so many other options available these days, in contrast though... That's what people said about me getting a 30 soarer.. And to this date I have still yet to see a nicer 30 soarer in aus. But that's just me - I'd rather have an old but nice car, than a new flavor of last months car... Such as a v35.

Hey guys,

Since this is my first car I don't have serious cash to flash, around 8-9 grand, so would it be worth it spending that on an import instead?

No-no-no!

For a very valuable car it can be worth importing.

For a car that's not valuable, definitely "No"

Now the next Q is, What's valuable and what's not? Where is the cut-off point?

Some say, "If the commission/tax/freight/compliance/registration combination is more than a third of the cost of the car in Japan, the cut-off point has been reached if not breached". The exception would be "rarity" or "exclusivity".

My 2c

^^^ yes but some people don't care about that..

For example:

My friends car

GX71 toyota chaser

Factory manual

71,000km true reading with full paperwork

One owner in japan

No Modifications

Non smoke car

Truly immaculate interior and immaculate body

Worth financially nothing in reality

However he's one of less than five Toyota X70 chaser owners in Australia. He's only heard of ONE other chaser driver in Sydney and thats just here say :)

So in that regard there's more to it that meets the eye

But

You will

Never find *that* with an R33