SAU Community

Tv/navigation

M35

I've read somewhere here that there is a button/option to activate AUX in the TV/Navigation system. Is this true? Trying to get my reversing camera working. Everything is in japanese.

Yes there is. I had mine translated to engrish when I bought it so I just follow the prompts... I'm sure someone will chime in with the buttons. Wife has the car this week so I won't see it!

I think he has the Series 2 M35 - I'm not sure how it differs to Series 1 in terms of getting the screen to Aux/VTR (and displaying a reverse camera). Is the camera factory fitted or aftermarket Sonny?

@Daniel,

The camera is aftermarket. It seems that the tv tuner is different kettle of fish compare to S1 Stageas.

And you plugged the camera into the jap tuner? Do you have either a relay or a switch to short c1/cont1 on the jap tuner (I'm presuming the jap tv tuner is the same as the series 1 m35)? Alternatively do you have one of those motion block bypasses installed? Otherwise I'd expect tv VTR/Aux won't work when the park brake is released.

Edited by asbks

And you plugged the camera into the jap tuner? Do you have either a relay or a switch to short c1/cont1 on the jap tuner (I'm presuming the jap tv tuner is the same as the series 1 m35)? Alternatively do you have one of those motion block bypasses installed? Otherwise I'd expect tv VTR/Aux won't work when the park brake is released.

Yip plug the camera into the jap tuner(its got one of those square plug with 6pins). Camera is NTSC. Not sure what S1 tuner looks like. No none of the above relays or conversions.

okay, it may only work when you have the park brake engaged (on) then. How is the camera powered? If it's off the reverse light then it will only be powered and on when the car is in reverse.

So, to test it, turn the car on and put it in reverse, while leaving the park brake on. Open up the screen and set it to TV, then onto VTR (which is Aux).

If that works then let the park brake off and see if it still works.

Yay after giving it another go, finally got the reversing camera working thru the tv/tuner. :rofl2: I had to set the tv to VTR and it works. Only problem is, as soon as I let the foot

brakes off it turns the tv off! Anyone had try to bypass this wire or can it be cut?

I did wire off the oem tv tuner (c1/cont1) - ran it to earth via a switch next to the steering wheel so I can bypass motion block at will and also on a relay so it automatically bypasses when the vehicle is in reverse. When c1 is earthed it automatically puts the screen onto VTR.

Have a look at this thread: http://www.skylinesa...page__hl__asuka

EDIT: or yeah, via the english language conversion - $320nzd for us in Auckland I think.

Edited by asbks

I did wire off the oem tv tuner (c1/cont1) - ran it to earth via a switch next to the steering wheel so I can bypass motion block at will and also on a relay so it automatically bypasses when the vehicle is in reverse. When c1 is earthed it automatically puts the screen onto VTR.

Have a look at this thread: http://www.skylinesa...page__hl__asuka

EDIT: or yeah, via the english language conversion - $320nzd for us in Auckland I think.

Ok let me get this right. You soldered a wire into C1/CONT 1 pin? then earthed it? but you are using a switch to earth/unearth it? can it be earth permanently so as soon I turn on the car it turns on the screen straight to VTR? or will I loose the CD player option. Or is it unwise to permanently eathed it? Sorry for the stupid questions. I only interested using the OEM screen as an aid for reversing, I cant be bothered using the other functions on the NAVI because everything is in Jap.

Yes I have a wire from Cont1 pin to earth, via a switch (& also to earth via a relay to come on automatically when in reverse). I didn't find it necessary to solder it, rather the wire I used fitted snuggly in to a connector that was on Cont1 and I taped it down to help keep it in place (yes it sounds bad but it is a good connection with no problems). You could earth it permanently, but as you seem to already understand that would mean never being able to access the fuel leaf etc (it is quite easy to leave a switch in line, although to be useful it does mean running a wire from the boot to the front). Provided you were happy with that I can't see how it would be unwise to have it permanently earthed. Although if your reverse cam is only powered off the reverse lights then it will only display a picture when the camera is in reverse - you could just have the c1 running to earth via a relay to come on automatically with the reverse lights (that would mean tapping into the reverse light 12v in the boot roof lining though).

Are you in Auckland or somewhere else?

Edited by asbks

Yes I have a wire from Cont1 pin to earth, via a switch (& also to earth via a relay to come on automatically when in reverse). I didn't find it necessary to solder it, rather the wire I used fitted snuggly in to a connector that was on Cont1 and I taped it down to help keep it in place (yes it sounds bad but it is a good connection with no problems). You could earth it permanently, but as you seem to already understand that would mean never being able to access the fuel leaf etc (it is quite easy to leave a switch in line, although to be useful it does mean running a wire from the boot to the front). Provided you were happy with that I can't see how it would be unwise to have it permanently earthed. Although if your reverse cam is only powered off the reverse lights then it will only display a picture when the camera is in reverse - you could just have the c1 running to earth via a relay to come on automatically with the reverse lights (that would mean tapping into the reverse light 12v in the boot roof lining though).

Im in the shakey city Christchurch Nz

Ok not getting into deep here. Looking at the back of my tv tuner which wire is C1/Cont 1? I might just be able to splice into it just like what you done. Yes camera is only powered by the reversing light and it only appears when the reverse is selected, however I soon as I release the footbrake the picture dissappears. Would earthing the C1/Cont1 solves the problem, I might do the manual switching too. Your help is much appreciated.

You need to open the tuner up to get to it (which means unscrewing the tuner from its mount). From memory once the tuner was open I also had to unscrew the circuit board to get to it. It's not as hard as it sounds - I have no experience with doing anything to circuit boards but was okay.

Earthing C1 would mean the VTR screens permanently - the park brake (left foot brake) then has no impact. Obviously the screen will only display the camera output when the camera is powered (when the vehicle is in reverse gear). You won't see anything as you're crusing down the road.

Edited by asbks

• 3 weeks later...
post-94823-0-19649600-1342164844_thumb.jpgpost-94823-0-74189100-1342164880_thumb.jpgpost-94823-0-02306200-1342164887_thumb.jpgpost-94823-0-11839300-1342164895_thumb.jpgpost-94823-0-34051700-1342164917_thumb.jpgpost-94823-0-84454700-1342164924_thumb.jpgpost-94823-0-49529700-1342164932_thumb.jpgFinally got the reversing camera sorted, got the courage to open up the tuner and soldered a wire to C1 pin to ground it. Im using a relay to force the tuner to VTR. It also bypass the footbrake and motion block, comes on automatically now. All worth it. Thanks guys for all your help. I installed the camera by the lower part of hatch door rather than the normal position next to the number plate light. It works rather quite well. Edited by M35

kia ora Sonny, Im keen to get a camera going on my PM35 aswell, are you able to give a detailed explanation of what you have done,, I can't make out where your pictures are taken.

You could PM me the details if you wish.

Cheers

kia ora Sonny, Im keen to get a camera going on my PM35 aswell, are you able to give a detailed explanation of what you have done,, I can't make out where your pictures are taken.

You could PM me the details if you wish.

Cheers

Hi,

1.First work out where you want to mount the camera and the type of camera( make sure its NTSC). There are several ways you can mount it. I choose the flush mounted one and fitted it to the bottom part of the tailgate. Also have a read thru the forum there are heaps of ways to do it, its just comes down to want you want. 2.You will have to remove the covers for the tail gate so you can mount the camera and route the cables.

3. Take a 12v positive from the reversing light to power your camera and find a suitable -ve to ground it.

4. Route cables(not easy but not impossible).

5. Access the tv tuner(located at lefthand side rear compartment). Remove that storage compartment by using a flat screw driver and gently push the top corners down to release it. Its a small metal box with cables attached to it. Held by small 4hex screws 8mm. I managed to remove it without removing the entire lefthand side covers. Fiddly tho.

6. Once out you need to open it carefully and try not to touch any IC's(not sure how sensitive to static charges but Im not chancing it). Locate the C1/Cont1 pin and soldered a piece of wire to it. Then put back together and drill small hole to the metal body so you can get the wire out which you will have to ground -ve later.

7. Now look at the tuner carefully, you will see a small white square connectors with 6pins in it. Pin4 and 6 you need to connect the yellow RCA to create an input for you camera. Pin4 is the inner core of RCA and Pin6 for the sheath(outer core). NB: If you look at the square connectors again from top left is 1 then bottom left is 2 and so forth till Pin6 is righthand top.

8. Ran the RCA cable back to your camera and do connection.

9. Return the tv tuner back to its previous position and connect all the cables back to it.

10. Get an automotive relay, either a 4pin or 5pin. Ran a 12v +ve to the coils. Pin85+ve. Pin86 -ve. Pin30 cable that you soldered on to tv tuner. Pin87A to -ve.(normally open I think) and use it to automatically ground C1/cont1.

11. Turn on tv then set to VTR. It should also bypass the footbrake and motion sensor. Well it did on mine. And still able to use the other function on Tv.

If I miss anything, please feel free to correct it. :yes:

Edited by M35