SAU Community

R34 Gtr Front Rotor And Pad Replacement

Hi all

I'm soon needing to replace the front rotors and pads on the front of my R34 GTR. Posting this to find out if anyone has any recommendations from user experience or word of mouth. I figured since I have to replace them I may as well upgrade them too, but nothing too crazy. Looking forward to peoples advice.

Cheers

Harry

How do they compare to the factory brakes?

I was looking at DBA, if you don't mind me asking, what did they set you back?

Also was having a look at Project Mu SCR if anyone has user feedback on those?

DBA 4000 slotted discs go well with some project mu bspec pads, that's what I'm running..

There are so many options :)

I am running this set up too.

How do they compare to the factory brakes?

I would say just as good, if not better.

I was looking at DBA, if you don't mind me asking, what did they set you back?

Bought a set from a friend who works at Super Cheap Autos for under $500 (Front Set).

At the moment, Just Jap have the Front Set for $539 or try GSL Rally Sport on SAU Traders section.

Also was having a look at Project Mu SCR if anyone has user feedback on those?

I would have went with the 1 Piece Project MU SCR but cause I got the DBA 4000's at a decent price, I went with them instead.

Same, under 500 for the front 2 discs.

At some point I wanted to go to a 2 piece rotor to reduce some weight...=$$$

I see, and are your rotors the new T3 Design?

How is a 2 piece rotor lighter then a 1 piece?

BTW my front brakes are upgraded to the Brembo Calipers from a R32 GTR V-Spec.

The center hat is not cast iron, and usually made from aluminum. There is a couple of kilo difference between the 1 and 2 piece rotors.

Mine have the different slots on the rotor so there is no lhs and rhs, same part no. for both sides if you know what I mean.

The center hat is not cast iron, and usually made from aluminum. There is a couple of kilo difference between the 1 and 2 piece rotors.

Ah yeah, make sense, thanks!

Mine have the different slots on the rotor so there is no lhs and rhs, same part no. for both sides if you know what I mean.

If it looks like this:

dba_4000_t3_l.jpg

Then yes, you would have the T3 Design, same as mine.

Yeah, the new design is non directional specific.

That's the one's!

I will have to change the rears again as I just fitted new rear t3 rotors a few months ago and am about to upgrade to the v spec 2 / N1 rear 322mm setup.

So spend more money again :)

Running similar set ups to these guys on my 33gtr:

Project mu scr pro 2piece rotors on the front and the DNA 4000s T3 slot on the rears and project mu Bspec pads

For me this set up is great the pads stop the car great in all conditions (but not really a track pad as I found out hahaha) very very little dust which is great and no noise

The front rotors arnt the cheapest but the quality is absolutely fantastic and work well on the track and street

That's the one's!

I will have to change the rears again as I just fitted new rear t3 rotors a few months ago and am about to upgrade to the v spec 2 / N1 rear 322mm setup.

So spend more money again :)

That's a decent rear rotor size.

All for the better :)

Project mu scr pro 2piece rotors on the front and the DNA 4000s T3 slot on the rears and project mu Bspec pads

For me this set up is great the pads stop the car great in all conditions (but not really a track pad as I found out hahaha) very very little dust which is great and no noise

The front rotors arnt the cheapest but the quality is absolutely fantastic and work well on the track and street

You might need to go for the Project MU Type HC+ (Hyper Carbon Plus).

Higher Stopping Power / Control / Resistance to Fade.

Wow, that set up sounds pretty awesome, think the front rotors might be a bit out of my price range though. Have you heard any feedback on the SCR's?

You defiantly know your brakes by the sounds of it lol. What would you recommend as a setup?

For the street the Bspecs are great, for the track i am getting a set of project mu club racers :ph34r:

Wow, that set up sounds pretty awesome, think the front rotors might be a bit out of my price range though. Have you heard any feedback on the SCR's?

Heard good things about the SCRs but i think price wise a little too much, the DBA 4000s are very good for the money

If you are on a tight budget, get the Project MU CRD Rotors as they are an entry level, 1 step up from OEM.

Project MU SCR's are the next step up then Project MU SCR Pro then the Project MU SCR GT.

They cost more as they are made with even more refined metals / materials and have different designs.

You defiantly know your brakes by the sounds of it lol. What would you recommend as a setup?

:laugh: I had to research when upgrading to the Brembo calipers.

What do you want to use the car for? Will determine which setup you go for.

No point in buying the highest rating of pads and rotors if you only use for Street Performance as you would probably never use the setup at its full potential.

Meaning you would never heat up the pads and rotors hence it will squeal and the braking will not be as effective.

The reason you brake upgrade is so it can take a higher temperature / heat range so when you push the brake pedal, the car can still stop and the brake setup will still be effective.

(All within reason to what you want to use the car for)

Also (on a side note) with bigger pads and rotors, they have a larger braking surface area along with the ability to operate at a higher temp / heat range = Brake faster for longer.

(All within reason to what you want to use the car for)

So for a Street Performance you'd go (in this instance with Project MU)

B-Spec Pads (Street / Light Track Use) - You can justify paying a bit more for pads as they do not cost that much.

CRD Rotors = 1 Piece / FC Cast Iron / 8 Slots (Street Use)

Or

SCR Rotors = 1 Piece / High Alloy FC Cast Iron / 8 Slots (Street / Track Use)

Or

DBA 4000 T3 = 1 Piece / High Carbon Alloy / T3 Slot Design (Street / Track Use)

That setup should be fine.

For the street the Bspecs are great, for the track i am getting a set of project mu club racers :ph34r:

Yes, true!

Haha! That's crazy! Club Racer Pads = Hardcore racing :laugh:

Heard good things about the SCRs but i think price wise a little too much, the DBA 4000's are very good for the money

Yeah, that's right, I too was interested in SCR's but for the price I looked into DBA 4000's.

I asked around a few people I know using DBA 4000's and they are fine for what they wanted.

Which turned out to what I wanted as well.

Well the main use is street use, I drive the car almost every day. But don't want brakes to be an issue if I was to take in a track but at the same time want them to work on the street haha.

I've heard good things about project mu so that's why I've mentioned them, not sure what else is out there to compare with

Well the main use is street use, I drive the car almost every day. But don't want brakes to be an issue if I was to take in a track but at the same time want them to work on the street haha.

I've heard good things about project mu so that's why I've mentioned them, not sure what else is out there to compare with

So for a Street Performance you'd go (in this instance with Project MU)

B-Spec Pads (Street / Light Track Use) - You can justify paying a bit more for pads as they do not cost that much.

CRD Rotors = 1 Piece / FC Cast Iron / 8 Slots (Street Use)

Or

SCR Rotors = 1 Piece / High Alloy FC Cast Iron / 8 Slots (Street / Track Use)

Or

DBA 4000 T3 = 1 Piece / High Carbon Alloy / T3 Slot Design (Street / Track Use)

That setup should be fine.

Also upgrade your brake hoses to metal braided ones along with a Brake Master Cylinder Stopper.

There are other brands but for the price with most of the Project MU parts, which are good, just stick with them.

• 1 month later...

Do you gentlemen know if anyone makes a 2 piece rotor for the REAR BNR34 brembos?

I'm trying to lose some weight but all I found are 2 pieces rotors for the FRONT.

Project MU make a 2 piece rear rotor (SCR Pro) but only in the size of:

322 x 22

Which I believe is the R34 GTR N1 rotor size (I think it is also the same as the V-Spec II rear rotors).

• 3 months later...

Hey all, just a little update..

Ended up with the DBA 4000 series rotors and Ferodo ds2500 pads on the front, will eventually get the same for the back, but really happy with the way its stopping