SAU Community

Second Hand Coilpacks

Bergo

Hey guys, I have recently bought a 1995 s1 r33 gts-t. The coilpacks have been playing up and I have read the topic about how to temporary fix them.

As I have recently purchased this car my funds are on the low side so I am having to think about second hand coilpacks. I have enquired at a local shop and they want $200 for a set of nissan ones.

So I ask; should I even consider second hand coilpacks? Is there any way to check that these ones aren't ruined aswell(aside from checking for melting marks from arcing)? Should I use good electrical tape around them as a preventative for the cracking from heat(or silicone)?

Sorry about the large text.

Edited by Bergo

I wouldnt mess with used, my old set im assuming had hairline cracks i couldnt see but i could see(and feel) arcing at night with the rocker cover removed, changed them with a set of spitfires and it was a totally different car.

You're better off doing the cheap fix i think nail polish and tape? and save up for a new aftermarket set if you still need it.

On the dyno they broke down during on the runs, I think it was 3 of them had very visible cracks through them, I suspect they were not indeed geniune, but some pretty good looking fake ones, so be careful of the ebay ones is all. Jez picked me up some barely used splitfires and they are still going strong.

if those second hand ones from the shop for $200 come with some sort of a warranty- at least 6-12 months then id say go for it.

otherwise second hand but not very old splitfires do generally go for the 450-500 mark.

keep away from yellowjackets n other stuff like that that is 'budget brand new'.

if the ones i got were fakes then they are the best fakes out there! def not secondhand either ,the numbers on them match exactly to the factory ones i took off my RB20DET and they run the motor just fine with no issues and certainly not "shattered" nissan 22433 60U01 HANSHIN MCP-300

maybe for you they kept working, for the OP not so much.

N just cos a product looks EXACTLY like the one it is replicating is hardly a measure of it being able to hold up,

Those copy Z32 AFm's can look exact too...

if they are referred to as brand new OEM and at that price- You bet it does.

you think nissan themselves make these coils ?because they didnt come from nissan direct i should pay a "nissan price" ?

have you considered that the ebay seller got them directly from the manufacturer? i know the difference tween cheap china crap and quality and as i have had the coils , both original and these ones in front of me that i might know the difference?

wind 20psi of boost into em n see how they hold up (or 5 yrs of use)...

Nah, all things being equal, they might. N if they do, more power too ya mate, seriously.

But the SAU community has enough experience with all the Z32 afms, Nismo injectors etc etc to know when you are getting the real deal, n when you arent.

Im not going to debate it with you anymore so say what you want from here on.

The only reason i have debated it is so other people out there dont get mislead into thinking they can get genuine stuff at a 'too good to be true price' off ebay.

wind 20psi of boost into em n see how they hold up (or 5 yrs of use)...

Nah, all things being equal, they might. N if they do, more power too ya mate, seriously.

But the SAU community has enough experience with all the Z32 afms, Nismo injectors etc etc to know when you are getting the real deal, n when you arent.

Im not going to debate it with you anymore so say what you want from here on.

The only reason i have debated it is so other people out there dont get mislead into thinking they can get genuine stuff at a 'too good to be true price' off ebay.

yeah thats cool , CBF arguing with you over this, i know i have the real deal with these coil packs- you believe what you want to believe

Argh just wrote a huge post and then it deleted itself. Oh well I will attempt to make the grammar a little better in this one.

First of all, I have been contacted by a SAU member wanting to sell me second hand OEM coilpacks for fairly cheap and as I have recently purchased the car and a few things for it my funds are low. These will have to do until I sasve for some splitfires. Now to a quick question:

When i pulled my coilpacks out there were only 2 screws holding each pack in place even though there are 4 holes. I dont think that it really matters as they arent going anywhere with the 2 but just to check if there should be 4 per coilpack does anyone know?

Im going to be cleaning the AAC valve tomorrow for something to do but while im at it I will pull the coilpacks out again. The reason for this is that last time i forgot to make sure I had duct tape handy. After pulling it all apart I realised the only thing available at the time was some bathroom silicone (clear) so i attempted to cover the cracks with this but the problem has either remained the same or maybe gotten worse (maybe im just getting on boost more often to notice it happening - I did ground the stock boost solenoid after purchasing the car.Maybe driving around with the more freely available boost has made the cracking/arcing from the coilpacks worse)

Thanks,

Damian