SAU Community

Can Anybody Please Identify What This Is?

Razon

hey guys i bought my skyline a few months ago off someone who didnt know much about the car so ive begun the long process of learning what has been broken/changed and ive recently been playing around with all the loose wiring they have left behind...

i noticed under the steering column theres a long cleer tubing with what looks like a screw with a spring behind it? looks as though its coming from the engine bay somewhere....anybody have any idea what this is? i have a picture included....

post-93031-0-84363200-1349148265_thumb.jpg

also is it hard to remove a turbo timer? i have a greddy full auto timer and it seems when i tried to jump start (noob mistake...know not too now..) it must have fried it because it just turns on now and doesnt do any function lol....

is it a matter of just following cords and taking them out or is it a bit of stuffing about....same for neons? has these installed but they are faulty/turn on and off if u jiggle the cord so bit of a fire risk.....

i better not start on the subwoofer/amplifier wiring in the boot which sparks while your driving lol....

soo while i was waiting for replys i went and took the lower fuse interior off and behind it was a mess but i found another black wire with electrical tape on its end.....and if you follow the wire further up it has another one coming from it plus a little red plastic fuse looking thing? (not a fuse...just look like one) any idea what this could be also?

post-93031-0-43868700-1349152202_thumb.jpg

thanks man if anybody else has any ideas on the black cord please let me know :) i wanna try and remove any un needed wires...

so really i should be able to plug and play with a boost gauge seeing as i have the tube already connected?

I would say possibly an old boost controller.

Hose would be for the pressure source.

If you trace it back it probably goes through the fire wall and connects to a vac source in the engine.

Then the cable would be it power source possibly back in the day when it was connected

Or could be the old boost gauge, vacum for the boost reading and then the wires for maybe the illumination!

Also be careful removing wires. Don't want to start chopping wrong ones.

Edited by cree

hey guys so i went and read up a bit on boost gauge/controller installation and i went and located where the T peice was in the engine bay....but it seems to be in a unusal spot for a boost gauge as i understand they should be connected off the intake lines

when i found this T peice its attatched to a line coming from a black little box on the top left of the engine bay? is that part of the intake or would this be a boost controller connection? pic below...

post-93031-0-53382100-1349250205_thumb.jpg

unfortunately i didnt take a picture of what the black line was running to on the other side but could this be a gauge or controller ? and what is the black box that the T peice is connecting into ?

sorry if im not explaining it right...just hard to put names to things when your not sure what they are lol..if you guys need a better pic showing the whole side of the engine and where the black line is connection too i could go take another one....

Boost controller and the connection to it. It's receiving the presure from one of the black pipes.

Your clear line going into the cabin is likely connected to the controller also.

After market boost gage had been fitted.

post-93031-0-43868700-1349152202_thumb.jpg

That red thing is a scotch lock and they are the devil. Better off twitching wires together(which I also don't advocate) than using them pieces of crap.

Black box in last pic is sensor for boost pressure for factory gauge.

Edited by t_revz

Its exactly where I have mine hooked up and will be fine!

Plenty of places to hook them up but if the factory gauge uses that line then just use that one.

Let us know how you go with the install

Any trouble just post up in here and I am sure we could all help

ahh sweet thanks alot for that, ill let yous know how i go once i get a gauge....need to work out a good brand to go thats accurate